1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

98% yes from Junior Doctors

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 19, 2015.

?

Do you support Junior Doctors striking?

1. Yes I support their strike action

80.5%
  2. Yes I support them but not to strike action

14.6%
  3. No although I understand their concerns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No and they are well paid for their work

4.9%
  5. No they are all communists

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other [see Eureka I can learn!]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On a 76% turnout... so I think that fulfills the new industrial action rules from the government.

I expect they'll now change those rules but still, so do the Junior Doctors have your support or do you think medical personnel should never strike? In which case, how should they express workplace grievances which have escalated to the first industrial action from them in 40 years?

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I support them, someone has to stand up for the continual erosion of workers rights over the last few decades and I think they have a good case. It might encourage others to do similar.

3. Le_Grinder

Le_Grinder Occasional commenter

Not a hope with the teaching 'profession'.

midnight_angel likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

OK, so how do we as teachers change things?

I know my old school drove one Union rep out and sidelined the other Union rep, refusing her access to basic Union guidance and training [as in they refused her days off]. But then the Unions don't do themselves many favours. Flicking through the latest copy of 'Teacher' from the NUT I saw little reference to the ongoing teaching crisis.

Is Social Media the way forward maybe? Politicians seem to listen to people making noise online more than they do 'real' people.

sabrinakat and midnight_angel like this.
  5. Le_Grinder

In a nutshell. My copy had a front cover about sending AID to Africa or somewhere. The rest if full of pointless toying with very minor educational problems: funding, how to get excellent at your observation etc.

The teaching unions are pointless.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The teaching unions as they are presently structured are pointless certainly.

They've either done too little or actively collaborated in the process.

BUT... they can be restructured and changed.

I don't know if it's practical but set up the Angry Teachers Union.

1. No co-operation for any PRP processes
    2. No co-operation with Ofsted, Ofsted ring to say they are coming in, our members all fall mysteriously ill.
    3. SLT walk into the classroom without giving notice, our member walks out of the classroom.
    4. Your Union [the ATU] will fight your corner in Capability proceedings and keep a record on their website of how many staff from that school have been 'managed' out so people applying to work there can see how bad it is.
    5. No co-operation with data, a now discredited management tool.
    6. Scrap Ofsted [should have put that earlier]
    7. Pupils to be at the genuine heart of education for our members.
    8. Any member of SLT saying 'for the children' [or words to that effect] to be laughed at.
    9. Members to actively question SLT in school meetings, even if SLT don't like it.

I can probably think of lots more...

I should copyright ATU

Edit: still can't get their/there right even after 30 years!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  7. Le_Grinder

I am loving the sound of the ATU.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well... I am angry :mad:

9. Mangleworzle

Magically become mutually supportive.

It surprised me how many teachers were reluctant to strike a few years back in the most recent teachers strikes. Not just that but the pathetic self-serving excuses:

"I'm not going to lose a days pay"
    "I can't afford to lose a days pay"
    "I've got sooo much I can catch up with"
    "I'll strike next time, but I've a lot of marking to do"

The short-termist nature of those excuses was what surprised me most along with what amounted to as "I can't strike because of the exact reasons the strike is about".

Those same teachers were often the ones who would say to me after some meeting or other:

"I'm glad you said that, it's what I was thinking too" - but they would never have mentioned it at all - ever.

Then there's management who want to hang on to their position and are pressured to present a united front, one teacher I knew who was AST wanting to become SMT didn't strike so as not to spoil his record or damage his chances. He is now SMT.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Magically become mutually supportive.

It surprised me how many teachers were reluctant to strike a few years back in the most recent teachers strikes. Not just that but the pathetic self-serving excuses:

"I'm not going to lose a days pay"
    "I can't afford to lose a days pay"
    "I've got sooo much I can catch up with"
    "I'll strike next time, but I've a lot of marking to do"

The short-termist nature of those excuses was what surprised me most along with what amounted to as "I can't strike because of the exact reasons the strike is about".

Those same teachers were often the ones who would say to me after some meeting or other:

"I'm glad you said that, it's what I was thinking too" - but they would never have mentioned it at all - ever.

Then there's management who want to hang on to their position and are pressured to present a united front, one teacher I knew who was AST wanting to become SMT didn't strike so as not to spoil his record or damage his chances. He is now SMT.

Worth repeating @Mangleworzle

About 20,000,000 times.

RedQuilt likes this.
  11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I really wish I could believe that teachers would band together like the junior doctors have but I can't. I hate being so negative about the job I loved so much but I sincerely believe that the rot has gone too far. Sorry:(

midnight_angel and Mangleworzle like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't be sorry... be ANGRY!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. Le_Grinder

Do you support strike action though RedQuilt?

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Doctors taking strike action is scary.

Teachers doing so, is just an inconvenience.

15. Mangleworzle

I agree, though I think the two are not that comparable. Doctors are far more committed in practical terms to their career path, training, ease of leaving, disparity in pay if they do, ease (lack of) of being replaced for instance.

The cracks are beginning to appear in the system though with recruitment for overseas teachers because there aren't enough home grown recruits being tempted with the bribes on offer, increasing school rolls, teachers leaving etc.

The message is getting out there to the public too to some degree, it could/should be a matter of spotting the moment and going for it, though from an ex colleague I spoke to recently, sobbing quietly in corners and mutual moaning seems to be the order of the day.

16. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Where do i sign up?!

lanokia likes this.
  17. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Most definitely and I supported it each time.

@lanokia I really AM angry but feel like I haven't got a channel for it. Nobody's listening!

midnight_angel and lanokia like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye I know what you mean @RedQuilt

Very frustrating.

RedQuilt likes this.
  19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I do think that there is a glimmer of the public beginning to understand how the job is currently. However, I think that glimmer would disappear pretty rapidly if teachers were to take sustained action. It won't be until there is a complete crisis (and it's heading that way) that there will be a realisation that it can't continue like this indefinitely and that we really will be in trouble when it collapses.

midnight_angel likes this.
  20. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I am afraid of a credibility crisis here.Most young doctors are sons or daughters of previous doctors, or come from families who can pay private school rates. They become doctors because they can, and not due to any real passion. Hence, they should be treated like the rest of the workforce, and what the public can afford to pay them, if they really like it.