1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

9025 ? A good salary in Qatar ?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mariadelasol, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Mariadelasol

Mariadelasol New commenter

Is this a good package for Qatar ?
    9025 Qatari Riyals per month
    plus housing, paid electricity and water, yearly flights,

medical, settling allowance, baggage allowance ?

I am
    hearing that 9025 QR is just too low :( ?
    I also hear it is next to impossible to find taxis in Doha ??

Thanks.

2. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

How long is a piece of string?

You can pick up a half decent used 4 door saloon car for about £2500. I prefer 4x4s though as you have more road presence and it means you can explore the rest of Qatar.

I'd recommend getting a car as public transport is only really used by the manual workers and you don't want to be standing at a bus stop in the Summer months. It's pretty impossible to walk anywhere so you're left with taxis or a car.

3. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Firstly a piece of string is double the length when measuring from the centre point.

Secondly, some schools do work to a pay scale so no room for negotiation. Perhaps you could PM me with the school?

Also, who are you going with? And if you are staying long enough, you could get a bank loan or you could lease a car but i am pretty sure you could car share as well.

4. Mariadelasol

Dash201- I have PMd you.

5. Mariadelasol

Ahhhhh...how right you are Mr. Hippo....I too have experience that in the Gulf....
    Looks like I'll have to invest in a car then.
    How's the driving over there ?

6. lol the word I put in where the asterixs were was worse (I live here - so also pretty accurate). On the taxi issue you can ring and order taxis from Khawa (sp?) anyway they are cheap and newish. I mainly had probs on a Friday trying to get a taxi - most people I know hired cars for the first 3 months before buying (Not too bad at QR1700 a month).
    I think less than QR10,000 is low - unless you are new to teaching - I have 12 years and am on QR18,000 - I live too much of the high life and dont manage to save!

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Asterixs, cherie? What about Obelixs and Getafixs the Druids?