1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

90 minutes...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cornflake, Sep 8, 2019.

1. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Hi everyone.
    So, with the first possible phonecall happening tomorrow, I wonder if anyone had any words of wisdom to share about how to handle this?

I still can't get my head round how the deep dives will be chosen, especially in a primary school when not everything is necessarily going to be being taught. If a deep dive can be EYFS, could it also be year 2, for example..?? Can we successfully steer this towards something we want them to see, or should it be a concern, like the Key Lines of Enquiry were...

2. install

install Star commenter

See SEF ...;)

3. cornflake

LOL! True... which is all fine and dandy, and ready to go... but for some reason this phone-call marlaky has me in a panic and my anxiety is already through the roof!

4. install

install Star commenter

It will not be a phonecall that lasts for 90 consecutive minutes. My understanding is that it can still be steered and agreed.

5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Deep dives will chose 2 year groups per subject, e.g. "we will look at geography in y2 and y5 and music in F1 and y6".

6. cornflake

HI. Can I ask how you know that? Is that from a pilot inspection, training or something you've read that I have missed?

7. SJG

SJG New commenter

They phoned us on the Monday (9th Sept). Had a one and a quarter hour conversation with inspector. We agreed the 3 deep dives between us (we had to have reading as one and then could choose the other two.) The deep dive involved observations, book scrutiny, discussion with curriculum lead (before the observations), discussion with pupils and discussion with the staff who had been observed (although the curriculum lead was not allowed in this meeting.) The HT could be in all meetings and observations with the exception of the class teacher discussion. We also agreed who would be observed between us.

welshwales likes this.
  8. cornflake

Thanks for this. How did you choose the other 2? Were you able to pick what was going well, or did it have to be a "key line of enquiry" type issue? What did you choose, and how did you decide who would be observed?

Hope it went well!

9. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

That's massively helpful- thank you!

10. cornflake

So: I can answer this question first hand now.
    We have 4 deep dives; and it's brutal.
    Make no mistake, the bar is higher than ever before.
    I know that does little to alleviate the anxiety anyone else might be feeling, but any kind of idea that this framework is going to be more holistic and not generate workload for staff is just absolutely wrong.

11. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Oh Cornflake- that's so disappointing to hear. :Let us know when you can shed any more light on how those deep dives actually work..

12. cornflake

Important to note we are a small primary school.
    EIF clearly designed with large secondary in mind.
    Forget transition arrangements...

13. Alenamai

Alenamai Occasional commenter

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

welshwales and Jesmond12 like this.