1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

9/11

Discussion in 'Personal' started by found nemo, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Just been reading a thread on another forum where people are posting about where they were when they heard the news about the WTC. I was working in an office (pre-teaching) and watched it unfold on a very slow internet connection and with the radio on in the background. My partner and I went to meet his parents for dinner later that evening as they were on holiday near where we lived and they hadn't heard about it until we told them.
    I'm curious to know what happened in schools on that day. Not sure what I would do if something similar happened during the teaching day now. Were the pupils told? Did teachers try and carry on for the afternoon as normal?

2. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Why would pupils need to be told? Why would a normal school day not carry on? As much as it was a major historical event,it did not directly affect most of us and most of our pupils.

3. Major tragedies happen all over the world. If school was to stop everytime they happened, we'd never need to go in!

4. I'd also add that, while September 11 is a key date in how America views itself and its relationship with the world, it's not a major event in the life of the UK. Perhaps we view things rather differently over here after living through many a year of terrorist activity during the 1970s and 1980s. We don't even report our own 9/11 - 7/7 - in quite the same way year on year as we report 11/9 as we should call it over here.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I was out that day. Was at home and read on teletext that a small plane had crashed into the WTC. Ignored it and went out for a country walk. A few hours later was listening to Radio 2 and had to rush to get home to see the news as could not believe what I was hearing.
    The thing that is different about 9/11 was the fact that it unfolded live on TV.

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Very true but normal classes would still not be stopped because of it.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm not sure what happened in schools - but it is history being played out in front of you. A major terrorist attack live on TV on the USA.
    Then again - what happened on 7/7? I was at home watching it. That was incredible to see that unfolding. Yet again - it's not viewed in the same way as 9/11? Why not? Is it because not many died in comparison? Is it because we've already had terrorist attacks on us?

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

to be fair 99% of the kids today would be sent a text by their parents or be on twitter/Fb etc on their mobiles so would know what is going on.

Anything that happened to this scale again wouldn't be in isolation anymore.

9. I was teaching that day, and we were oblivious to what was happening until the children had gone home. There was no internet in the classrooms and the TV was a big old affair on a trolley in the library with no aerial connection so we had no way of knowing.
    My ex told me about it when he came to collect me from work and we listened to the news on the car radio. The scale of what had happened didn't really register with me until I saw the news footage that evening, though.

10. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

Don't forget that it was afternoon here when it happened - the full picture wasn't really clear until later, after school.

11. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I was in sixth form at the time in an A level psychology lesson and I remember so clearly another teacher coming into the room to tell us what was happening - not really sure why!

I got home after school that day and watched the towers collapse.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

I was teaching top infants at the time - The school secretary came into the classroom and told us that a plane had crashed into the WTC but we just assumed it was a small plane, an accident. Then the second one hit.
    I too remember sitting in the car after school with a friend listening to the radio feeling shocked and wondering what was going to happen next.
    Our school did a wonderful assembly the next day and that was the first time I heard and sang the Gaelic Blessing - 'Deep Peace'. Very moving.

13. I was at uni and flicked on the tv while pottering in the kitchen to see the first plane hit. I too thought it was an accident, and then relaised they were showing footage from earlier that morning and then saw the second tower fall. i think I cried, but I'm kind of overly emotional anyway.

When 7/7 happened I was bored while temping and was browsing the bbc news site. Mentioned that a bomb had gone off in london and then when i checked the news later couldn't quite belive what had gone on.

I think 9/11 was the first major world event in my lifetime that I'll remember what I was doing as it happened. I still find it difficult to watch footage of it now and can;t quite believe ten years have gone so quickly.

14. pagoda

pagoda New commenter

My friend was working in Lower Manhattan but not at the WTC. It was 3 days before family and friends heard anything from her. My cousin was also in NYC having breakfast with his son in a cafe about 10 blocks north of the towers. They joined the exodus north and away from the collapse.

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I was working in London at the time of 9/11. There were people logged into the internet watching it all live. When someone said that one of the towers was collapsing I thought he was making a very tasteless joke. Then someone set up a TV in one of the offices downstairs.
    A friend called from Cyprus to tell me to get out of London. The news there was saying that they expected London to be hit next.
    Somehow that feels like a lot more than 10 years ago to me. It must be very different for those who lost loved ones.
    Belle, your friend sounds very brave. My sympathies to you and her family on this anniversary.

16. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I was on holiday in Spain at the time with a group of friends from high school. It was our big bash before all going off to uni. I'd signed up for news texts to be sent to the mobile from some website thing and a text came through while we were lounging by the pool. We went back to the apartment and turned on the TV and got Sky News or something, can't remember which one but it was an American channel.
    I felt physically sick that day, particularly at the thought of flying home in a couple of days time. It was very odd at the airport going home. We checked our baggage through but whilst on the tarmac about to board the plane, we had to leave our hand luggage and only take on what items we would actually use. I remember the pilot giving his announcement and saying something along the lines of 'closing the door after the horse has bolted'.
    Very scary stuff.

17. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I was at 6th form. I must have had the afternoon free of lessons, as I was home early and most of the events unfolded whilst I was having a driving lesson.
    Just before I went out for it, I remember switching off the TV, the sound was down and there was a picture of Bush who was obviously doing some sort of press conference. I just rolled my eyes and switched off, completely unaware of what was going on as it was on mute! I saw the plan crash into the 2nd tower later that day, it was awful.

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

She was. Anf beautiful, kind, clever and successful.
    Thank you. It is appreciated x

19. I believe I was in Year 9 and was completely oblivious of what was going on until my brother and I got home and Mum filled us in.
    Belle - I hope things are not too difficult for you on this anniversary. Xx

20. pagoda

pagoda New commenter

Thanks for posting this link. Images of brothers, sons, mothers, daughters, fathers, sisters....they all significant to someone. They went to work and never came home. They didn't have a say or a choice in their fate, much in the way that illness does not discriminate.
    This week's TV programmes highlighting the forgotten heroes and victims of this event add another dimension...we saw buildings collapse, we see the government/armed forces response, we see and hear political and radicalist rhetoric...but at heart of this is the personal, individual tragedy for people going about their daily lives and their families. For the survivors the impact on their physical and psychological well being is on going. It happened in the US one day in September...