1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

9/11

Discussion in 'Primary' started by psalm23, Sep 3, 2011.

1. What if anything does your school plan to do to mark the 10th year since this atrocity? I am struggling to explain to my now 10 year old what happened and shield him from some , what I consider to be , inappropriate filming.

2. What if anything does your school plan to do to mark the 10th year since this atrocity? I am struggling to explain to my now 10 year old what happened and shield him from some , what I consider to be , inappropriate filming.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As the anniversary is on a Sunday, not an awful lot as we won't be in school.

Also I have a class of 6/7 year olds and so nothing really. They are very young and to my mind need to be shielded from the worst atrocities in the world for a few more years yet. They also have no memory, so it wouldn't be any more 'real' to them than remembering the war.

We didn't do anything to mark 7/7, so do we need to remember 9/11 formally?

4. Similar response as minniminx really.
    We won't be in school on the day and for the children in school it will not be in their living memory. I find the whole thing far too harrowing to talk about still and wouldn't want to be in a position where I am trying to discuss the issue with 6 year olds who have just come back to school after the summer holidays!

5. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm in Year 6 this year, so if any of the children bring it up I will talk about it appropriately with them. I won't bring it up with them myself, though.

6. I agree. What would be your purpose in discussing this?

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I see no need to mention not commemorate it in school, so I won't be bringing it up but will discuss it at the appropriate level if the children mention it.
    They might well do, given the coverage, the level of which dismays me a little, not least the conspiracy theory elements that are being trotted out yet again. Not a discussion for this thread, perhaps though.