1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

9-1 short course - can't fit it all in?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Lemmy, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Lemmy

Lemmy New commenter

Anybody like me delivering the short course in R.S (eduqas) and can't seem to physically fit it all in? I reckoned on being able to cover one section per term, but this is proving difficult in the summer with the various interruptions. Anybody agree with me that there is just too much that students are expected to know for a short course?

And then where is the time to hone writing skills, especially for the long 'discuss' questions. Arghh.

For year 11, my lesson allocation drops to just 40 minutes a week so more pain coming.

Does anybody know of an active forum for eduqas GCSE? Looked on facebook but no luck.

2. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

Hi. I've just changed to Eduqas from Edexcel for the same reason- I do think Eduqas is slightly less prescriptive, which makes it feel lighter. I think the problem generally is that the beliefs section is just sooooo long, and for only 25% of the marks!! It's nuts. We have one hour per week and, at the end of year 10, have finished Islamic beliefs and only half way through Christian beliefs. I'm reassured that life after death and creation crop up in Theme 2 anyway so there is overlap.

3. Shelley78

Shelley78 New commenter

Hi.
    We too do Eduqas short course but because of the amount, we start at Easter in year 9 when we have 3 lessons over two weeks rather than the hour a week in 10 & 11. We manage to get through the Islam just about in the summer term (a lot of resources downloaded from here). Then Christianity and Issues of Relationships in year 10, with the odd lesson on exam skills and exam skills embedded in the lessons too, leaving Issues of Life and Death in year 11, revisiting the Islam, and then revision on all of it. At least that is the plan so far....

4. ngflblount

ngflblount New commenter

There are a number of RS communities for Eduqas - if you contact our subject support officer Chris Barfoot he will point you in the right direction christopher.barfoot@wjec.co.uk

5. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

An impossible job

6. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

For people doing any of the exam boards by the way not just Eduqas!!