1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

9-1 GCSE Statistics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by becca3471, Nov 28, 2018.

1. becca3471

becca3471 New commenter

Is anybody else teaching the new GCSE stats course? I am co-ordinating the course as we are trialling it with our Year 10s on the basis that there is a considerable amount of crossover content and no coursework anymore. However, I'm struggling for resources generally and have been creating a considerable amount from scratch so am wondering if anyone else is in the same position and would like to share.

Many thanks

2. missnmaths

missnmaths New commenter

Hi there

It is a struggle to find resources for the course for some of the topics such as population pyramids. I have started to copy and paste different questions creating my own worksheets, which are not brilliant, but I am more than happy to share.

Best

Huma

3. hopon66

hopon66 New commenter

We've purchased the edxecel textbook by pearson. I quite like it. Could be worth a look if you've got the budget. Even one copy for a bit of inspiration might be helpful.

4. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but just interested how the course is going. We are considering offering it as an option next year. I taught the old AQA spec (with coursework) years ago. We use Edexcel for Maths, but I quite like the look of the AQA Stats papers. Any particular reasons why we should go down the Edexcel course? Anything you did at the start of the course that you would strongly recommend not doing :)

5. hopon66

hopon66 New commenter

We went with Edexcel because of their textbook. AQA don't have one. I'm in the middle of creating a GCSE Stats Knowledge Quiz on Quizlet which I'm quite proud of. See if you like it.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

try looking at BTEC resources

7. dixonjanet5

dixonjanet5 New commenter

I've been teaching the GCSE Statistics 9-1 and only just found this forum. I have experienced the same issues regarding lack of resources etc so have spent the last 2 years recreating with amazing help from our local Sixth Form college. I know this is a stab in the dark but does anyone have a feel for the grade boundaries for the higher paper this year? I have guesstimated but think I may have gone too high and demotivated my already nervous students?

8. missnmaths

missnmaths New commenter

I have been teaching the Edexcel spec for about three years now and have slowly started to build up resources. I need to find time to upload them.

The Edexcel textbook and student book (thinner version) are very useful. They really go into depth with the content. I am currently browsing the Pearson 9-1 textbook and that is a lifesaver.

We teach it across three years, three lessons per week. With my current Y10 I hope to finish the content this academic year and then come back to revision and exam prep in year 11.

kazthomas likes this.
  9. amberm04_am

amberm04_am New commenter

Does anybody have any grade boundary predictions for the edexcel higher stats paper? I’ve heard mixed reviews some finding it very easy, others really struggling

10. maths_mikey

maths_mikey New commenter

There is little point trying to guess grade boundaries as they are set after the results are in to get required percentage pass rates. It will depend upon how well the cohort as a whole did.