1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

9-1 GCSE Sciences reflection

Discussion in 'Science' started by mm38, Aug 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mm38

mm38 New commenter

The new GCSEs are certainly not without their controversy with much more content longer and and harder exams and no controlled assessment and OFQUAL having to step in to stop students failing in combined higher.

The double grades seem to be causing issues with how they are counted. Is a 4-3 a standard pass for one grade but not another? Or is it 4-4 and above needed. For eBacc 4-3 will count as 2 x 3.5 grades. JCQ haven’t published national figures for split grades so no idea how many students fall into the 4-3 category. Some more guidance would be helpful.

I don’t miss CAUs and now prefer the level playing field but these first exams especially combined were very tough. It is also interesting that biology seems to be harder now than before.

What are other people’s reflections on the new GCSEs? Will second time around be much easier?

install likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

I think.it fair to say that gcses have got easier in general over the past 20 years. Hence the govt is trying to provide more challenging exams. Something.must have gone wrong to save all the grades - and that maybe is a concern about how clear and robust the new system really is.

3. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

I marked Higher papers, and it was obvious that far too many were entered at that level who really shouldn't have been. As HOD it's a strategy I used for some pupils in the past, relying on low grade boundaries, but unless students are genuinely average or above and have good exam technique I wouldn't do it now.

4. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

Exactly this. I've used "said strategy" before and used it for the old GCSE maths but this time around i was more cautious and anticipated the demands. We didn't have many in foundation (we hardly do) but all our higher students were placed there with enough data and skill set to justify sitting a higher paper - and they did well in not only science but maths.