1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

9-1 AQA End of year 10 mock paper

Discussion in 'Science' started by TeacherBiology, Apr 28, 2017.

1. TeacherBiology

TeacherBiology New commenter

Hi All,

As a head of department of a secondary which in the past has put 50% (about 100) of learners through triple science.

I am finding the new 9-1 GCSE science shockingly hard for our learners.

Obviously grade boundaries will shift down but by how much is unsure. I'm predicting about 30-60 learners following triple with the rest Trilogy.

A recent end of C10 mock provided by AQA resulted in significantly lower %s than we were expecting. Around 50% being the current max!

Has anyone else completed the mock and what are your %s looking like?

gumgamble likes this.
  2. Tink3rb3ll203

Tink3rb3ll203 New commenter

We are doing them next week - so will let you know!
    But yes - it is definitely harder. Our double scientists are following the trilogy route and they are struggling more than they used to.

3. TeacherBiology

Hi on analysis of our year 10 learners we have suggested that based on proportions of grade C's previously at this time we have suggested the following, these are for the % for the higher paper as to give a clear comparison for options in year 11 we did all at higher:

9 A** 90
    8 A* 74
    7 A 60
    6 B 48
    5 C/B 38
    4 C 28
    3 D 18

Suggestions

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We just did the mock. Most did higher. The majority didn't get into double figures on the raw scores and a significant number only needed to fingers on one hand to show their score! Pretty poor all round.

5. rfrancischem

rfrancischem New commenter

Have AQA released the "national data" set we were promised for comparison yet? I have downloaded the SKM analysis tools today and that column is still blank?

6. TeacherBiology

30th June I believe it will be available

7. dantium1

dantium1 New commenter

Our Year 10s have just done an hour and a half paper that includes the 30 minute paper from AQA. TecherBiology, I understand that about 40% of old A* equivalent grades will receive a grade 9. Bearing that it mind, do you think your 90% for a grade 9 might be a little high? When I have collated my marks I am happy to share what I think our boundaries will be for the Chemistry paper, but I suspect they might be a little lower. Question 1.2 on potassium nitrate I thought was particularly challenging. June 30 will be too late for our school as grades have to go home next week.

8. TeacherBiology

Taken from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/596393/Grading_new_GCSEs_from_2017_v4.pdf

states that Grade 9 is higher than current grade A* and will only be award to the top 20% over grade 7
    • A Grade 4 is the equivalent of the bottom of an old C grade.
    • A Grade 5 is the equivalent of the top 1/3 of a C and the bottom 1/3 of a B. The expectation is that the government will make this the new benchmark by which schools are assessed.
    • A Grade 6 is the top 2/3s of a B.
    • A Grade 7 is the bottom of an A.
    • A Grade 8 is the equivalent of the A*/A boundary.
    • A Grade 9 is higher than the current A*. It will only be awarded to the top 20% of students achieving a Grade 7 or above across the country.

9. dantium1

dantium1 New commenter

I am aware of the boundaries, but bearing that in mind, did many of your pupils get 90%? By my calculations, assuming a similar spread to the last few years, about 11 pupils will eventually get a level 9 in 2018, but sitting that AQA year 10 end of year paper only 2 of my pupils would get a grade 9 with 90%.

10. TeacherBiology

I'm not sure if your school but I did hear that only 2% of the entire student population would get a 9

11. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

In terms of entries, my centre is still open as to what we will do. What we all need to remember is that certain proportions of grades will remain the same i.e. The same number of grades 4-9 will be awarded next year as grades A*-C this year and the same number of grades 7-9 as A*-A.

Our Yr 10 students are currently taking the papers and are finding them hard. Partly this due to the style of questions which are quite different to previous exams (we take AQA certificates at the moment) and partly that the markschemes are fairly inflexible as they have not been through the full examination process.

12. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

We're just doing them and, having marked the Biology, looks like we're exactly in the same position. Does anyone else think the actual papers and mark schemes were a pile of poo or is it just me?

zuba102 likes this.
  13. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

We've just done them. Tricky. Physics wasn't so bad for those who could cope with the maths but the Biology wasn't on par (we're girls only so usually it's the slightly stronger one). I have to say I'm a bit frustrated that the questions were supposed to be more straight forward but actually the contexts have thrown some of ours who will have known the science I'm sure. I'm trying not to read too much into it until we get the population stats. I intend to do what TeacherBiology has done so I'll share what I do and will use as boundaries when I go through the data next week. We do Triple as an option for any pupil so it won't affect that but I'm concerned about the numbers on higher though the overlap should help us work out how to go about deciding that!

ssaleh21 likes this.
  14. mm38

mm38 New commenter

They don't seem to have even checked well at all. A table with the dependent variable in the first column and the independent variable in the second one. The electron was discovered in 1897 and the plum pudding model proposed in 1904...

15. PaulMorrison

PaulMorrison New commenter

Hi all,

I put all our triples into the mock Y10 trilogy exam - average mark around 45%. I was going to go 4 =40 and 5=50 etc.

Who knows!!

16. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Has anyone else looked at the OFQUAL guidance from 5th April?

"Percentage of those achieving at least a grade 7 who will be awarded a grade 9 = 7% + 0.5 × (percentage of students awarded grade 7 and above)"

On that basis looking at AQA last year an A was about 6% in Science A. So the formula gives you 7% + (0.5x6%) = 10%. 10% of 6 = 0.6%. However an A* was 0.4% on on route 1 (the by far most entered route). So on that basis a 9 would be a higher percentage of pupils than a current A?

It does say "across all subjects" but I can't believe this would be the case...would it? Obviously Triple and the current various routes muddy the water but I'd assume Core/Science A is the one historically most pupils did so ought to be more indicative than Additional Science?

Then an 8 ought to be half in between (presumably exam score wise) so that would make a 7/8s top and bottom current As wouldn't it?

Ah the joys...

17. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

:eek:

18. ScienceGuy

The way I read it is that the bottom of grade 7 is equal to the bottom of an A grade, whilst the bottom of grade 8 is equivalent to an A*. The grade 9 shows performance above an A* i.e. the sort of student who would have got full UMS on the old exams.

19. zuba102

zuba102 New commenter

Does anyone else think it's a joke that aqa only made 30minute mocks- the real papers are much longer!! We've used theirs and added additional questions to bulk it out so they get a full experience of paper 1. The aqa biology 30min paper also only covered module 1 and 2- how ridiculous. If that's all you've covered by the end of year 10 then good luck finishing the course!!

ssaleh21 likes this.
  20. ScienceGuy

The other thing to bear in mind when grading is that when you have worked out the number of students in each grade band (7, 8, 9 etc,), approximately half of them will get the intermediate grade i.e. assuming 90 UMS is grade 99, 80 UMS is grade 88, any student with a UMS between 85 and 89 would get grade 98.