1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

8 week teaching qualification.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by dangrantley, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Somebody I know doing a degree in history has told me that if they do a masters then they can train to be a teacher in 8 weeks. Surely this can't be true. Even after 9 month PGCE I barely felt ready for the classroom, if I think back to where I was at 8 weeks into my training I would never have coped alone. Surely the teaching is just as important as the subject knowledge, if not more!! Does anyone know if this is true?

2. Somebody I know doing a degree in history has told me that if they do a masters then they can train to be a teacher in 8 weeks. Surely this can't be true. Even after 9 month PGCE I barely felt ready for the classroom, if I think back to where I was at 8 weeks into my training I would never have coped alone. Surely the teaching is just as important as the subject knowledge, if not more!! Does anyone know if this is true?

3. Hi
    It is not true.
    What they may be thinking of is 'Teach First' where highly qualified graduates get an initial six week condensed training then on the job training and support in challenging inner city schools.
    You are correct, the teaching is as important as the subject knowledge (just look at Jamie's Dream School...)
    James