1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

8 week old baby sleep cycles

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by squirrel8, Aug 11, 2011.

1. My 8 week old sleeps most of the day and then comes to life at about 7-12 at night. He then sleeps til 3am, when he has a feed, and goes back to sleep to 6/7am. I realise I'm very lucky that he sleeps well at night but am concerned that when I go back to work (in 2 months) the midnight bedtime will just be too late! Am I being unrealistic here? Thanks ladies.

2. My 8 week old sleeps most of the day and then comes to life at about 7-12 at night. He then sleeps til 3am, when he has a feed, and goes back to sleep to 6/7am. I realise I'm very lucky that he sleeps well at night but am concerned that when I go back to work (in 2 months) the midnight bedtime will just be too late! Am I being unrealistic here? Thanks ladies.

3. Hi
    I too had a baby who slept virtually all day - to the point where I was worried that I was interacting with her as she was always asleep! She would then be awake from 6pm onwards feeding every 2 hours or so. Pretty exhausting.
    I was exclusively bf so I went on to formula as I was so tired, but that is neither here nor there. However, the best advice I was given was to feed during the day every 2-3 hours - even if it means waking LO up. Some might not agree with this, which is fine, but the idea is to tank them up during the day so they can then sleep more at night. And this really worked for us. Within a couple of days, LO was having bath, feed, bed - and stayed in bed! This was at about 8-9 weeks. OK, so she woke up perhaps a couple of times at night (and we still have one wake up now she's nearly 8 months) but the 'bedtime' is there and we have an evening from about 7pm onwards - yay!
    Personally, I reckon a midnight bedtime would be too late during a working week, but I guess it depends on how much sleep you can do without. You will also find that you have no time for yourself because you'll be at work all day, then come home at be with LO all evening (OK, that sounds nice but I'm sure there will be times when actually you just want to sit down and watch a telly programme or something) and by the time LO is in bed, you'll be so shattered, you'll have to go to bed too. And then the cycle starts again.
    But each to their own. Only you can decide what works!
    x

4. Remember 2 months at this age is a lifetime. So much changes in a couple of months. CAn you remember what he was like 2 months ago? He has changed so much since then and will continue to change in the next 2 months.
    My lo used to cluster feed from 7pm til around 11/12pm at 8 weeks but then by 16 weeks had got out of the habit and was ready for bed by about 7/8pm. I don't think I did anything particularly to get her to do that, just got up and did daytime things with her and then after I'd had my dinner I would get her into her pyjamas and when she looked sleepy I would take her upstairs for a feed and then bed. Once she was in bed I would quite happily go up and feed her if she woke, but she didn't come back downstairs and it was dark and quiet in her (our) bedroom. I think she was around 8/9 weeks when I started doing that but she was already used to getting up and doing daytime things during the day as we had to take daddy to work and we did the school run twice a day too.