1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

8 or 9 GCSE's??

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by staffse, Nov 14, 2017.

1. staffse

staffse New commenter

Hi. We are designing a new curriculum model and are debating whether we should deliver 8 or 9 GCSE's for our KS4? What is the view on this of colleges and universities? Will it put our students at a disadvantage if they only sit 8? Or it is quality over quantity?
    Any advice greatly received. TIA.

2. Guitargirl28

Guitargirl28 New commenter

Don't know if its helpful but I came out with 12, as did the top 2 sets.
    All the other sets did 9/10.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

12 here too, for everyone in my children's schools

pepper5 likes this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

if you only offer 8, and three are science, two are English and one is maths, that only leaves two choices, presumably one humanity and one language. Where does that leave music/ art/ drama/dt? How much choice does that give for moving on to A levels?

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

But... 8 top grades will trump 9 lower ones....

pepper5 likes this.
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I think a student capable of 8 top grades is capable of 9, or 10, or 11. The skills are not so different from each other, in different subjects. Its silly to limit bright students

rehaank likes this.
  7. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

The current buzz from OfSTED is about learning and curricula tailored to the needs of the students. Whilst 8 GCSE's allows you to fill all the boxes in Progress / Attainment 8, it does, as others have said, limit the choices for students and does not easily allow you to demonstrate how you are stretching the top students. You may be able to add extras in e.g. majority of students take Double Science but the most able take Separate Sciences but that only allows for change in a couple of subject areas

rehaank likes this.