1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

8 months in, the College of a Teaching is a joke.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Aug 20, 2017.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Yep, I don't know a single person who has joined since it was officially launched in a January, and I don't know anyone who knows what it's for. A few have vaguely heard of it, being another GTC quango-like organisation professing to be independent of Government. I heard membership has now soared to 14 this month so my guess is that it will be disbanded by this time next year.

A voice for teachers or a Government lacky?

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

At the moment, I am out of the mainstream. If it offered cost effective benefits, I might give membership some thought, however, I have observed no benefits.
    Those over 35 will remember the GTC(E) that failed because it neither regulated nor provided sufficient benefits. It initially seemed to succeed because there was compulsory enrolment, but most people only ever heard about it three times a year -once when they sent their anodyne green and white booklet telling us to talk to each other, once when we were asked to choose between indistiguishable candidates to sit on the committee and once when they told us how much money they were going to take from our bank accounts.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The GTC(E) also told us that, as well as forcing us to be paying members, they would monitor our out of school behaviour and actually might discipline teachers for what they did even if no laws were broken.

Load of ******' little Hitlers...

Shedman, phlogiston and lanokia like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I forgot that existed. Figured it had been scrapped.

bevdex likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

With the ongoing effort to deprofessionalise English teaching I find it funny as eff that they think a weak effort like this will reverse the massive drive into the sewer teaching is presently undergoing.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Some say it's located in Xanadu......

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I thought Dame Alison Peacock was in charge as chief exec and that was A Good Thing but have heard very little beyond this.

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've never heard of it

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

should I have done?

10. FrankWolley

I presume this is it...

https://chartered.college/

Lots of fun to be had for only £45 a year...can't think WHY it is doing so badly! ;)

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's had various mentions in the forums, as well as (maybe) a couple of mentions in the news section.
    As far as I know, you haven't missed much. I'm sure you had more important things to do (like trimming your toe nails).

dunnocks likes this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I remember when the GTC was introduced - the first many of us knew about it was finding the subscriptions deducted from our salaries, I wrote to them asking why teachers in independent schools didn't need to be members of this ridiculous organisation. They replied that the GTC protected pupils in schools and that people would be able to find out who was a qualified teacher. I wrote back that it was not in the GTC's remit to pass on who was a qualified teacher and why were independent school pupils denied the 'protection' given to state school pupils? I didn't get a reply.

peggylu, Mrsmumbles and FrankWolley like this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

GTC(E) started off with a members forum but only approved threads were allowed. Some of us would hijack the existing threads. I used to get my wrists slapped for it. Eventually when the only people contributing were those of us questioning the existence of the GTC they closed it down. It was fun while it lasted.

I also recall after one election sending in a question regarding one of the elections. Only 7% of the membership had voted but they would not disclose the number of spoiled ballots.

When my school stated putting together its safeguarding paperwork to satisfy OFSTED we were given a form to fill in. One question asked had I joined the GTC. I answered No. This caused great consternation and I was call into the office. I explained that I had not joined but had been pressganged, not the same thing.

peggylu and FrankWolley like this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I had emails from them regularly for months asking me to join. Just deleted them.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Do you have a link for the 14 members? There are 19 on the Council. I assume they are members. Who elected them?

16. FrankWolley

I did too.

Strange, as I'd retired some time before!

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I just looked through their website. Nothing in there gave me the slightest reason to want to sign up.

Nothing...

18. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

You wouldn't want to go, because it will be populated by croutons such as
    this IMG_5431.JPG
    'Wiv da kids' exec head:

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Took me a moment to recognise him.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@Mrsmumbles

Loving the use of 'croutons' to denote the likes of such luminaries.

07cfcdd8a7ca6b751253105901b64d06.jpg

Mrsmumbles likes this.