1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

7yo had a fit during assembly

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Isotope824, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Yesterday, one of the children in my class collapsed during assembly (the chn were standing up at the time) then had a full blown fit. I happened to be facing the right way at the right time, and was there within seconds. After his convulsions had stopped, he lay rigid on his back with his eyes wide open for at least 20 seconds, and then came out of it, completely confused as to why he wasn't still standing up.

I called one of the other teachers towards us, but he was fairly indifferent and didn't seem to think it was a big deal. I was an absolute wreck about it, but obviously with 200 kids all keen to know what's happened, and a very confused little boy, I had to act like I was in total control.

This happened five minutes before the end of school, so I didn't call home- rather I got him to take his jumper off and sat him on the classroom carpet (incase he fitted again and fell). After school, I explained to his mum what had happened, but she didn't seem too concerned.

Later, I spoke to the SENCO who rang home and advised to take him to the GP. Out of every member of staff I spoke to about it, she was the only one who seemed bothered or concerned about it. Everyone else just shrugged their shoulders.

I feel really unsuported by my colleagues and by my school- the more I think about it, the more I am concerned that my school is not properly protecting its children or its staff- we are not adequately trainedto cope with these incidents. I am a fairly inexperienced and young teacher, and it is just by chance that I know bits and bobs about fits and how to manage them.

I don't know what to do next. Obviously, I am not medically trained so I can't diagnose him or medicate him, but I feel pretty shaken up by the whole incident, and I feel annoyed that I haven't been properly supported by my staff. No-one asked me how I was.

So what is my next move? What can I do?

2. You're right Brettgirl, my comment about use of language was a slightly naughty comment relating to another thread but it has been treated shockingly casually by the school and the parent (speaking as one who called 999 when my daughter had what turned out to be a febrile convulsion)

3. Some very sensible comments above.

I am dismayed by how many teachers have not had even the most basic first aid training. How about asking your HT if an INSET day could be used to give training to all the staff?

But back to the real problem; I would have called an ambulance (and I am ambulance technician trained). If a child (or adult, for that matter) has a seizure (yes, that's the PC name for them now) in public, it is almost always best to call an ambulance. For a child in school, the only reason for not calling an ambulance would be if all of the following apply:

the seizures are frequent enough that you are familiar with their pattern in this particular child;
    the seizure follows the usual pattern
    there is an agreed protocol between the parents, school, treating doctor (and LEA where appropriate) which details the circumstances when an ambulance is called, and also what happens if the decision is that an ambulance is not required.

It would be usual to call an ambulance if any of the following apply:

it is their first seizure (or the first one you know about);
    injury (e.g. blow to head, broken limb, bleeding) in the fall or during the seizure;
    if the convulsive phase lasts longer than 5 minutes;
    if the unconscious phase lasts longer than 10 minutes;
    if the seizure does not follow the normal pattern for this child (or adult).

If in doubt,*always* call an ambulance!

While you wait for them to arrive:

stay with the casualty until help arrives;
    do NOT attempt to restrain the casualty;
    remove danger (this includes furniture etc.) away from them;
    protect their head (for example, but gently putting a coat underneath it - not to raise the head, but to cushion it if the head is banging on the floor);
    note the time the seizure started, and its duration;
    when the convulsive stage has ended, complete the Primary Survey (if you know how to do this), and (injuries - if any - permitting), turn them on to their side - or better still, into the recovery position.

When the casualty regains consciousness, they are likely to be very confused and disorientated. Talk to them (don't shout) in a calm, reassuring tone (even though you feel anything but calm!)

Hope this helps.

4. Grrrrr! Where did all my paragraphs go?

5. They disappear in Chrome and some other browsers