1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

700 applicants!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by jimmygib, Jun 5, 2011.

1. A primary school in East Lothian was recently advertising 2 part time and 2 temporary posts - there were 700 applications. IIs this a new record? It doesn't look good for jobseekers at the moment. When will it get any better?

2. lookinglost

lookinglost New commenter

I know of a Primary school in the same area that had a permanent job going. It had less than 60 applicants. I think the whole job situation is ridiculous, for Primary teachers especially, however this is similar to the 1000 applicants for 25 jobs post. You need to be careful, this school could have an exceptional reputation. If it's in the area I think it's in, the part time posts would be greatly sought after. How many were applying for the part time posts? How many for the temporary? I'm always wary of figures like the one you have posted. I would rather there was more a focus on the whole picture rather than the single part. 60 is still a lot, but not a huge number when you take into account almost a third would have got an interview.
    However, the situation at the moment for teaching jobs is bad(well awful). Lots of excellent teachers left to fight it out for temporay and supply positions. I believe however in the next 5 years there will be more jobs available and after COSLA have made teaching so unattractive to most 'quality' graduates there will be jobs available. I want to go on but it makes me angry how short staffed some schools have been left and a full and proper comment is not something I want to write at the moment.
    To answer your question, it's been tough for jobseekers for the last 5 years at least. It will get better(probably in the next 5 years, unless we're expected to teach much larger classes), but by then teaching may no longer be such an attractive proffesion.

3. That's happening already!

4. lookinglost

lookinglost New commenter

I was meaning on top of increases made already, but that wasn't particularly clear, e-mail isn't always the best at getting these points across I suppose. I was surprised to see in my region the number of subjects that are no longer deemed practical. I'm also waiting to see if (when) they increase max class sizes, I think that'll have a shocking effect on Primary teaching.

5. My heart breaks for primary teachers just coming out of probation just now.Even the chance at supply work is so low. Trained, highly able people who have done everything right but for whom there seems to be virtually nothing right now. This situation is just so awful and so unfair. How did it get into such an extreme situation? Something needs to give at some point with this.