1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

70 years since partition: Midnight's Children

Discussion in 'Book club' started by sparkleghirl, Aug 15, 2017.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Over the course of today Radio4 is playing, in 7 installments, a drama adaptation of Mindight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

I confess I haven't read it - I remember the controversy about it but a family member who had read it before all of that kicked off had said it wasn't worth the fuss so I never bothered.

I heard a bit of the first episode this morning but I just know I won't hear them all today, so will wait and listen to them on iplayer once they're all available.

It's here for those who are interested http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0909rxg

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I enjoyed reading this years ago and might give it another go. I think it was Satanic Verses that caused the fatwah controversy while Midnights Children got the Booker. I enjoyed what I heard this morning - the juxtaposition of farce, horror and love stories is wonderful.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Of course it was! Thank you! That was a doubt this morning but I couldn't remember the name of the Satanic verses and so convinced myself if was Midnight's Children.

lindenlea likes this.
  4. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I didn't like Midnight's Children. I do wonder if I should read it again though as I was young the first time around, about 18 I think, maybe older me would get more out of it.

5. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Ah peggylu, our first disagreement lol! I read it a long time ago, too, but I really rated it. I'd give it another go if i were you.
    I've just remembered it's about different children born on the midnight of partition, and what happens to them, isn't it? I can only remember otherwise that I finished it, and honestly I don't usually bother if something is utter rubbish (ie to me...a very subjective thing!)

peggylu likes this.
  6. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I know @galerider123 you are absolutely right. It's one of those books you're supposed to like too. I will give it another go, see if I've matured enough to appreciate it a bit more.

galerider123 likes this.
  7. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Don't read it unless you want to! Life is too short!

peggylu likes this.