1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

7 year olds must be able to read 90 words per minute...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Middlemarch, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Same here. When my sister's kids started school, they could read fairly well too, but at that time the school frowned on parents teaching their kids things like that, believing it could instill bad habits. My sister told the school to get stuffed.

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I did not read til i was nearly 8 despite my parents ,cousin and teachers attempt, One day it clicked and from then on i devoured reading books and read most of the books in the local children's library.I doubt if i could have read at 90 words a minute aloud though.
    Why do we believe that if we hot house kids they get better?...books are to be enjoyed and understood in my mind......although i do hate teachers who hold back kids because they rarely hear them read in class. they keep them on some lower lever as the child isn't allowed to change their book.
    In the early days reader where listen to twice a week and the poor ones slotted n more often.........then cam NC and it died,the came group reading and it died further and so on....I feel sorry for children today.

marlin and snowyhead like this.
  3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

What is the point in being able to decode at speed if you do not understand or appreciate a word of what you are reading. Yes, fluency is important but it is only part of the picture.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We have a high number of EAL children, particularly from Eastern Europe. It's quite common for Polish children (as an example) to arrive in Year 6 with no spoken English at all but who are able to decode text using their phonic knowledge. Many of them could potentially decode at a rate of 90 words per minute yet they'd have absolutely no idea what any of it meant.

snowyhead likes this.
  5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I can decode French texts quite quickly because of my knowledge of French phonics, but my comprehension skills are way behind my decoding ability. Anyone listening to me decode a text in French would assume I was quite literate in the language. Therein lies the issue that has been hotly debated by the 'synthetic phonics' and 'other methods' proponents over the past few years.

marlin and monicabilongame like this.
  6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Have seen that doing the rounds of FB. Very apt.

I read a primary school's recent Ofsted the other day. They were graded good, but were not yet judged to be outstanding because KS1 children whose home language was not English were not reaching the same levels in written English compared to their levels in reading (I assume they mean the ability to decode not comprehend) and maths. Any teacher of Reception or Year 1 children will confirm that the acquisition of written language takes much longer than the acquisition of spoken and associated decoding skills and is no different for children in the early stages of learning English as an additional language.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Learning a new language goes in 4 stages: Listening, speaking, reading, writing. Ofsted dikkheds should know this if they are in the business of establishing if a school is doing its job!

snowyhead likes this.