1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

7 year olds must be able to read 90 words per minute...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Middlemarch, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Hmm...I'm told I didn't start reading until I was 7, so I hate to think how a beleaguered KS1 teacher would react to me if I were in their class these days...(50 years ago they just let me drift along until I was ready, I think... Didn't do me any harm!)

3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Not primary but..
    .. doesn't it depend what you're reading.
    ATM I'd struggle to read 90 words per minute for some of the stuff I'm reading for my MA

Well I could 'bark at print' but that's not reading

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Will we sit and time this with a stopwatch? Specifically what type of books should we use? Woe betide any child who pauses to look at a picture! I predict chaotic results next year in primary.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Books without pictures, natch ...

snowyhead and Sundaytrekker like this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

fuxache. They are getting desperate for ideas on how to sod up kids enjoyment of school, ain't they?

7. lizziescat

Oh I think there's lots more they can do (but I'm not giving them ideas on here:mad:)

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Pull up Facebook and everyone reads 90wpm, especially little 7 year olds.

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I can type at 100 wpm. When you measure typing speed it's based on blocks of five letters. Let's test reading speed that way with special books published by Pears@n.

What next? Children need to be able to run 100 metres in under 15 seconds or they are deemed to be clinically obese.

Shift over Middlemarch, I need to sit at the foot of your stairs.

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They would in 'Chinese School' as per Bohunt School's experiment - mind you, the kids - as badly behaved as they were to the visiting Chinese staff - did actually score better than the Bohunt kids after 3 weeks of the experiment.

11. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

The Chinese, tsch. What do they know about teaching? ;)

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Always room for like-minded folk!

snowyhead likes this.
  13. monicabilongame

Is this that the kids should be able to read at a rate of 90 words per minute, or that they should be able to read out loud at a rate of 90 words per minute? I can read silently far faster than I can read out loud, as it takes time for my mouth to catch up with my brain.

snowyhead likes this.
  14. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I should imagine it's reading aloud: a child might be able to answer some questions about the content but that wouldn't necessarily mean they had decoded every word correctly and at speed.

I have another idea: let's test six year olds on their ability to read a text backwards. If they can read at least 60 wpm backwards it would be indicative of a fluid mindset, a highly developed spatial awareness coupled with the potential to earn at £300K a year more than their peers in twenty years time. It's all true, I've just published the peer reviewed research.

(By the way does anyone know what I need to do to become a 'prominent contributor'? I have just passed my tenth anniversary on here and have been posting like crazy today. I need status!

marlin and guinnesspuss like this.
  15. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Could we perhaps move away from the 'fear motivated' structure of our current society and introduce more 'presence' in teaching reading? For example, being aware of the moment and enjoying the moment/the now whilst reading and fostering this presence in children? Almost every aspect of our society is based on ego driven fear motivation - rushing into the next moment without savouring the current. Yes there still need to be 'measurements' of sorts but the overall basis should be a profound joy and love of reading which will lead to greater speed and fluency in time.

That said, my ego says, " My mother taught me to read TO PREPARE ME FOR SCHOOL and saw this as part of her role as a parent (why do more parents do this in modern times) and I was fluent early on!" haha

16. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

But, did your mother teach you to read using pure synthetic phonics or a cheap man-made fibre version of reading that allowed you to look at the pictures or (whispers) encouraged you to sound words out?

17. monicabilongame

My mother taught me to read before I went to school - by the time I was 6 I had read every single book infants 'library' and had to go upstairs to get books from the juniors to read during reading time.

Duke of York likes this.
  18. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

This might help:

https://community.tes.com/help/trophies

19. lizziescat

A friend of mine surprised his teacher and his mother when he started school and was already able to read. He'd learned from watching the adverts on television.

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Fluency of reading is very important of course but there are bigger obstacles to overcome first. I'd suggest children being engaged by and enjoying reading, of anything at all, is far more important than how quickly they can read at that age. Including being read to as well. Instilling the fear of not being able to read at a fairly arbitrarily chosen rate isn't going to inspire anyone to get better at it. And it will turn off precisely the children we want to turn on to reading.

monicabilongame likes this.