1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

7 teaching days left for Year 6..HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clairebirchall, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I have been dragging the standards up in my weak Year 6 class and now we have two weeks holiday, 2 bank holidays and a royal wedding just before SATs!!!
    This leaves 7 days...anyone got any brain waves to make these fun and effective in writing, reading and maths...any ideas welcome.

2. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Oh - I know! What a nightmare isn't it! Completely the wrong time for SATs - big dip with our kids each time they've had a longish holiday. Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet so can't offer any advice - just commiserations.

3. I feel exactly the same as you. . . we have 6 days left before SATs.

If anybody has any advice or tips, I am also welcoming ideas!

4. We have 5 teaching days left before SATs
    Bring on the ideas and inspiration!

5. No ideas coming yet - perhaps everyone is as stuck as the rest of us!

6. Our solution is to run an Easter school. 8 actual days left and then 6 for the 'most needy'. Roll on May half term, I might finally get some rest.

7. If they don't know it now, then they don't know it.
    And secondary schools say we teach to the test and the SATs don't reflect actual ability.

8. fab208

fab208 New commenter

With respect, robyn147, it isn't about what they know or don't know so much as their readiness for a week of this kind of assessment. I agree that we shouldn't be drilling them in exam technique and practice papers, but we all know that it can be really hard to get the children back into good working habits after a holiday, and this one is particularly disruptive. We have some children who will be spending their holidays up until all hours, not reading a book or doing much other than watch telly, play on the computer and get grief from their parents. To get them focused again is going to be the biggest challenge.

9. I assume you wll be doing lots of activities linked to the Royal wedding the week we go back- how about trying to do activities that you can link to maths/lit - eg baking cakes - measuring, weighing etc letters from to Wills and Kate, writing narrative etc. Maths/lit organise a reception - how many people will be coming? - how many tables, chairs etc. will be needed If 12/6/4 at each table? - what if 20% 15% half, quarter, third etc. don't turn up etc. - What could the best man's speech say? just some thoughts [​IMG]

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What a strange assumption.

11. We are a bit luckier, have 10 days in April then one full week in May before these tests!
    Am going in tomorrow, Wed and Thu to do boosters!
    Am panicing, this cohort HAVE to have 90%+ due to what they were in Y2, they are just not there! eeek!

12. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

We're the same due to KS1 scores. We are a junior school and therefore the scores come from the infant school - we find they are just not where they say they are when they come up, and in fact we retest them to get a proper baseline score. Unfortunately they aren't taken into account - only the 'official scores' are.
    Never mind - I really think that we do them a disservice at secondary if we push them to get a level they aren't really 'at'. Just got to do the best they can now. Fingers crossed they are scrapped in their current format next year. Still unsure what to do for those 6 days when we go back. My current thinking is as someone else's on here was - lots of practise planning their writing, intros and getting finished on time for literacy and lots of MM stuff for maths. Fingers crossed everyone - and good luck.

13. Not really Milgod! - That's what is happening in the schools in the area I work. Aparrently, this is not the case everywhere!! Still, if planning creatively, some of the activities suggested still stand.