1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

7 month old not sitting unaided

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by missimpatient, Mar 12, 2012.

1. I hope you can give a little bit of reassurance/advice. My little boy is now 7 months and cannot sit unaided yet. I sit him between my legs and he will be steady for a few seconds or maybe a half a minute max but then lunges forward or to the side for something and thereby losing balance. He is just so interested in launching off to get toys and not sitting still!
    His friends who are the same age as him have been sitting up unaided for a few weeks now. I know I shouldn't compare but it is so hard not to and it is making me feel like he can't join in as their little girls sit there playing independently on the floor together whilst he has to sit with me for support.
    Is it normal for a baby not to be sitting unaided at this point? Do you know whether it will suddenly happen? He is getting slightly better but still seems a way off yet. Any experiences / advice would be REALLY welcomed.
    Thanks in advance x

2. I hope you can give a little bit of reassurance/advice. My little boy is now 7 months and cannot sit unaided yet. I sit him between my legs and he will be steady for a few seconds or maybe a half a minute max but then lunges forward or to the side for something and thereby losing balance. He is just so interested in launching off to get toys and not sitting still!
    His friends who are the same age as him have been sitting up unaided for a few weeks now. I know I shouldn't compare but it is so hard not to and it is making me feel like he can't join in as their little girls sit there playing independently on the floor together whilst he has to sit with me for support.
    Is it normal for a baby not to be sitting unaided at this point? Do you know whether it will suddenly happen? He is getting slightly better but still seems a way off yet. Any experiences / advice would be REALLY welcomed.
    Thanks in advance x

3. Hi Miss Impatient,
    I don't think you need to worry at all. My LO is just 7 months also and only this last 2 weeks has started to sit and wobble over. Then in the last few days, he seems more stable and I can leave him for short periods without him falling now. So, it does happen suddenly. I'm not confident to completely leave him sitting without me very near yet as he does still fall and bump his head. I know plenty of other babies the same age and older that are not sitting yet without support. Yours will do it soon - one day it will just happen! x

4. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

It's perfectly normal! My lazy tyke was nearly 9 months before he got the hang of sitting. Chill ... in what will seem like 5 minutes you'll be chasing him all over the house and wishing he was just staying still and not reaching stuff :)

5. Yes this is normal. personally id expect babies to sit unaided at some point between 6-10 months or so. There is such a large 'window' for these developmental milestones. Please don't worry as he's still young to sit unaided. They are all so different aren't they! My nct group babies are starting to crawl and it is hard not to compare when my little one is perfectly happy sat on her little bottom and is not interested in moving at all ! All the best lovely miss impatient xxx

6. Also, interesting that you are comparing him to little girls he mixes with as just shows really how boys and girls can be quite different even this early on!

7. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

I agree. My little girl is 8 months now and has been sitting for a little while but it just happened all of a sudden. She also still lunges for toys sometimes now and topples over! Her little friends (who are boys) are all crawling and pulling themselves up on the couch (they are a couple of weeks older) but she shows no interest in moving and has only just started putting weight on her legs when I hold her. I think they all do things at their own pace so try not to worry (although I have to remind myself not compare too!)

8. Thank you so much for your replies - it really means a great deal. I have been annoying myself with this for a little while now, even though I know it is very naughty to compare babies. It's good to hear that they can make quite quick progress too.
    Ecolady - thanks for telling me to chill as I need someone to tell me. I drive myself crazy. I wonder if boys can be a little lazy!
    It's funny you should pick up on the gender of the babies. My two NCT friends had girls and my two work colleagues also had girls, so he has little contact with boys apart from a sensory group we sometimes attend. I think you are right in that girls can seem to be more interested in sitting and boys in crawling. My little man is always pushing himself forward from sitting so he ends up on his belly and then gets frustrated when thrashing his arms and legs gets him nowhere. It's exhausting to watch.
    Good to hear your little one is doing well Ladymarm.
    Thanks again x

9. My daughter was sitting sturdily at 5 months...... and couldn't roll herself over consistently till 8 months and crawling more like 11 months! So they are all different... 2 of her little friends (one boy, one girl) were caterpillaring around at 5/6 months but couldn't sit unaided until more like 7/8 months. Mine was a sturdy, chunky, content to be still girl.... the others were little active wrigglers and trying to get everywhere all the time - I think that they didn't sit still long enough for their stomach muscles to get that kind of strength - as soon as they start sitting unaided even a little bit(with you or pillows as back up for the inevitable wobble fall) they get stronger quickly and better balance and they can do it for longer and longer.

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

There's no point comparing. A friend of mine has triplets (now 11) and they all did things at different ages. I think the 2 girls did everything - crawled, walked etc - before the boy. So if 3 children born at the same time, same parents etc can be so different, then your baby can definitely be different to other babies!
    I have a boy and a girl, and my 10 month old daughter was walking round the furniture at 7 months and took a few steps at 9.5 months. She was 10 months yesterday and is taking more and more steps. My son walked at 12.5 months. So my 2, 22 months apart, are different.
    My daughter was pushing herself to nearly sitting, and then all of a sudden she could sit up. Although she was commando crawling at 6 months and propping herself up to nearly sitting, she didn't sit properly until 7 months.
    They all get there in the end. At some point they will all be doing the same things and no-one will care who walked/talked etc first.

11. Have not read other posts so sorry if I repeat.
    I can only tell you what happened with our LO.
    He sat wobbly at 6 months secure at 7 months. pulled himself onto feet at 8 months - did not crawl until 11 months and did not walk until 16 months. Some of it was worrying before he did it but his speech is great and I have come to the conclusion that they will do it when they are ready. I know thats horrible to hear - used to drive me nuts - I still think I have a seriously lazy little boy. ' What's the point in doing anything if someone will do it for you' - seems to be his mantra.
    x