1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

7 Minute Steamed Chocolate Pudding - in the Microwave

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, May 29, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Cooked this earlier in the week and Si asked to let her know if it went well - it did, and so well that I thought it deserved its own thread.
    I only ever use the microwave to heat plates (I suspect this is possibly bad for the microwave, but it saves time if I'm not using the oven for anything else), and to briefly kick-start defrosting something. But this pud rocks, and will be doing it again.
    The recipe is from Nigella's How To Eat, but she took the recipe herself from Barbara Kafka's "The Microwave Gourmet" which is a much respected book on the subject; Jeffery Steingarten has a whole chapter extolling its brilliance in his wonderful "The Man Who Ate Everything".
    The 7 minutes is slightly misleading as it needs to rest for a further 10 minutes, and the 2 minutes suggested prep time is a little ambitious, but it's still quick and involves virtually no effort. Our microwave oven is more powerful than the one in the recipe, at 900w, but I still cooked it for 5 minutes. It's great hot, but we discovered that it becomes something sublime when left to go cold and then partially warmed through the next day. Thick, fudgy and oozing!
    Anyway:
    Ingredients
    150g unsalted butter
    250g good quality dark chocolate
    100g light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    125ml double cream
    40g plain flour, sifted
    ½ teaspoon basking powder
    3 eggs
    double cream or crème fraîche for serving
    Method
    Butter a 22.5 x 10 cm ceramic bowl or 1 litre pudding basin with 30g of the butter.

Grate chocolate in a food processor, then, add the remaining butter, cut into 8 pieces, and sugar.

Process until thoroughly combined. Add remaining ingredients and process to a smooth mixture.

Pour into a prepared bowl. Cover tightly with microwave cling film. Cook at 100 percent in a 600-750 watt microwave oven for 5 minutes, until set. Pierce film with the tip of a sharp knife, remove from the oven, and cover the top of the bowl with a heavy plate (to keep the pudding hot). Stand for 10 minutes.

Serve with double cream or crème fraîche.

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Cooked this earlier in the week and Si asked to let her know if it went well - it did, and so well that I thought it deserved its own thread.
    I only ever use the microwave to heat plates (I suspect this is possibly bad for the microwave, but it saves time if I'm not using the oven for anything else), and to briefly kick-start defrosting something. But this pud rocks, and will be doing it again.
    The recipe is from Nigella's How To Eat, but she took the recipe herself from Barbara Kafka's "The Microwave Gourmet" which is a much respected book on the subject; Jeffery Steingarten has a whole chapter extolling its brilliance in his wonderful "The Man Who Ate Everything".
    The 7 minutes is slightly misleading as it needs to rest for a further 10 minutes, and the 2 minutes suggested prep time is a little ambitious, but it's still quick and involves virtually no effort. Our microwave oven is more powerful than the one in the recipe, at 900w, but I still cooked it for 5 minutes. It's great hot, but we discovered that it becomes something sublime when left to go cold and then partially warmed through the next day. Thick, fudgy and oozing!
    Anyway:
    Ingredients
    150g unsalted butter
    250g good quality dark chocolate
    100g light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    125ml double cream
    40g plain flour, sifted
    ½ teaspoon basking powder
    3 eggs
    double cream or crème fraîche for serving
    Method
    Butter a 22.5 x 10 cm ceramic bowl or 1 litre pudding basin with 30g of the butter.

Grate chocolate in a food processor, then, add the remaining butter, cut into 8 pieces, and sugar.

Process until thoroughly combined. Add remaining ingredients and process to a smooth mixture.

Pour into a prepared bowl. Cover tightly with microwave cling film. Cook at 100 percent in a 600-750 watt microwave oven for 5 minutes, until set. Pierce film with the tip of a sharp knife, remove from the oven, and cover the top of the bowl with a heavy plate (to keep the pudding hot). Stand for 10 minutes.

Serve with double cream or crème fraîche.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Wow! Sounds a bit posher and richer than my hot chocolate cake for the microwave but I think I may just have to give it a go...
    Thanks for the recipe, Nick.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Great - hope you enjoy, EG.
    I would add one proviso - it doesn't look especially magnificent when upended onto your serving plate - in fact it looks like a microwaved pudding, so don't try to fool guests into thinking it's anything else! But, once served into bowls with a little cream, it looks fine - it naturally has some gooey chocolate sauce as well.
    Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, eh?!

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

And - Nigella suggests enough for 4. I'd say more like 6, as it's very rich.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My standard rule for the numbers that Nigella suggests is to increase by 50%. They must eat massive portions in her house! I'd rather end up with more than I need than not enough though.
    That pud looks great. I must try it. There is a pear and chocolate pudding in Nigella Express with similar ingredients but tinned pears in the bottom and you bake it in the oven. That is beautiful and gooey on the bottom so I can imagine how good it is!

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Good point - perfect for kiddles. Might make an appearance at my after-school cookery club when I start it up again...