1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

7 failed interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rapplex, Jun 9, 2017.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes, one was FT teaching, turned that one down, one was part pastoral part teaching, accepted that one

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@dunnocks Congratulations on your new job!

dunnocks likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Thank you

rapplex and ViolaClef like this.
  4. rapplex

rapplex New commenter

Ahh I haven't been on here for a while! Well done @dunnocks .. I've had one more interview since this post. It went internal! Got one on Tuesday in MY old Primary School so fingers crossed!

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

All the best for Tuesday, @rapplex!

6. moso42gum

moso42gum New commenter

Hiya, You are not alone. I've been in exactly the same position. I have managed to get supply and been asked to stay therefore I've managed to complete a section of my NQT. I've got around the job for September issue by applying to a school in 'special measures'. Got the job - the entire department will all be new in September and will be throwing lots of support my way. My feeling is that if it isn't as positive as I believe then at least I'm in work - looking for work.

Head up - you'll get there. It is emotionally and physically difficult but not impossible - I know I felt that I could not put myself through another one that was already earmarked.

Just keep in mind how much experience you are getting to iron out those issues without being scrutinised officially.

GOOD LUCK!

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Have you heard anything yet @rapplex ?

8. tara-gourlay

tara-gourlay New commenter

I was recently pipped to the post, so asked if they could email me the document they had with the interview questions on, and then spoke to them to get feedback. As they went through the feedback I annotated the sheet that had the questions on.
    Ask them what they would like to have heard/seen and to give you an example. Any true professional will be willing to take the time to help.
    Good luck

Jen26 likes this.
  9. 576

576 Established commenter

I've done about 20 applications, had 4 interviews and none successful.
    Next one on Thursday - if I don't get it i'll just do supply.
    It is emotionally, physically and mentally exhausting.

agathamorse and Teachallover like this.
  10. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

It is very difficult. There might be 5 short listed candidates and one position. They might know who they want already but have to go through the motions regardless. You might have the skills and that something extra special but still get pipped at the post. All you can do is keep trying...

agathamorse likes this.
  11. aa54321

aa54321 New commenter

We've all been in the same boat. Fingers crossed!

12. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Yes, you're right there, @576. Hang on in there and be resilient - there must be the right place for you somewhere! Wishing you all the best!

13. Indyindy

Indyindy New commenter

Hi.
    You aren’t alone.
    I’ve sent off over 30 applications over the past 2 years. Just had my 6th interview yesterday and wasn’t successful . Great feedback (just like my last 3) but im always told the panel struggled between me and another candidate..
    Always seem to come in 2nd place . I’m just not sure what to do now. How long do you keep putting yourself through this for?
    I should add I’m in a perm teaching post at the minute. It’s embarrassing having to approach the head for the reference and time off for interview to then have to go back and say ‘no I wasn’t successful - again’ especially when many others from the school have been successful at their first interview .
    I’m just at a loss with what to do ‍♀️

agathamorse likes this.
  14. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

All you can do is persist.. your are obviously very close. Keep learning from the experience and refining your application and interview technique. You do secure a post when you are the best candidate it can take many attempts but you can get there in the future.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. SweethomeChicago

SweethomeChicago New commenter

It can be a little bit like trying to hit a moving target as all schools will have different criteria and opinions on what is outstanding etc.
    It's a little bit like gambling, the odds don't change because of the previous result, it's still stacked in favour of the house, all you can do is put yourself into the frame and be you. Learn from each experience but don't think that by trying to be the perfect candidate for the last job will make you a dead cert for the forthcoming interview. Work on the universal desirable traits that all good schools should be seeking in their staff and the cream should Rise to the top!

agathamorse likes this.