1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

7 failed interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rapplex, Jun 9, 2017.

1. rapplex

rapplex New commenter

Hi (first time poster)

Just feeling a bit deflated today. Qualified last year and after 4 failed interviews last summer didn't manage to secure an nqt post. Thus, a year on supply began (I have really enjoyed my year on supply and gained so much experience). I worked day to day for a term then secured 7 weeks in a nursery. Then another failed interview before Christmas. Been working long term in a perfect school for two terms but they couldn't put me through any of my NQT unfortunately. Had another 2 failed interviews this week and they both had really positive feedback - I've always had good feedback especially for observations but the job goes internal or to someone more experienced or just not to me lol.

I'm feeling really upset about it today because I know I have lots of passion and I know that I am not a bad teacher, I just want the chance to prove myself and for someone to take a chance on me.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I've even been looking at different career paths but teaching is all I've ever wanted to do. Should I give up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't give up - there really are plenty of jobs out there !

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I wouldn't consider being turned down 7 times as failure. I personally think in terms of ten applications for an interview, 10 interviews for a job. I don't think that is unusual. Lots of jobs are the wrong one for you, and you don't necessarily know that from the advert.

Keep going. I hate interviews. I get so nervous I always write off the first few in a spate of job hunting anyway, it takes me a while to get used to being interviewed.

Nothing wrong with looking t jobs outside of teaching too, but don't apply for any unless you really genuinely want to do it.

4. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

From what I understand the lesson observation is good, so unless there are other tasks in the process, perhaps you should reflect on how you answer the questions with an interview panel. They want to appoint someone that they get on with, that could work with others and be that practitioner they want in the classroom with the children.

Some questions to aid some reflection:
    • Have you tried practising the questions and answers with colleagues, family or friends? What do they see that you might not?
    • What are five strong examples of what you do? e.g. while on supply, extra-curricular, progress, behaviour management, assessment, etc. Know those examples
    • How do you come across?
    • Are answers structured and speak about the achievements of students?
    Hope this helps as you find that next post.

tara-gourlay, ropponmatsu and rapplex like this.
  5. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Keep going you will get what you want. I hate interviews too. Do as Trendy Art suggests. I have known many that have gained a position through volunteering with a school they like. If you can afford to do this look for schools that attract you and see if you can offer help from in class support through to extracurricular.

Look up the latest research into pupil learning and offer this interest at interview. Find out exactly what the school needs eg more numeracy, literacy science ..state how you could offer this at interview ..it will give you the edge over others.

Good luck ..never give up your dreams !

tara-gourlay and rapplex like this.
  6. rapplex

rapplex New commenter

Thank you all for your advice. The interview I had on Thursday went really well considering I only found out about it the day before so had little time to prepare.

I felt my answers were well articulated and relevant, they even gave me feedback saying I showed good knowledge of current subjects such as mastery maths etc and that my lesson was great but my personality didn't shine through as much as they like. I didn't take that to heart because I know that's one of my strong points and I was just nervous so maybe I just have to work on it a little bit more.

Teachallover and crazypineapple like this.
  7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

If you are working as a supply teacher, keep your eyes open for full-time posts where you are working. Its quite common to land a job that way. Once you've been working at a school they know whether you fit in with the team, etc.

It also gives you the chance to ask the people you work with what you can do to improve how you come across at interview.

tara-gourlay likes this.
  8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Does this not mean you would have to make 100 applications to get a job? I'm afraid this would indeed be rather unusual...

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it depends really, doesn't it. if you are going for long shots, jobs you really want but are unlikely to get.... also if lots of jobs are advertised at once... and I tke quite a few interviews to settle into not being cripplingly nervous during the interviews.....plus being offered more than one job at once in the end.....

I certainly wouldn't think that not getting the first 7 jobs I apply for is a failure

tara-gourlay likes this.
  10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You are right that 'failure' is not the best term. However, as difficult as it may sometimes be, if one is consistently reaching interview stage and not receiving any offers, the best advice for them would be to reflect seriously on what they could do differently next time.

Of course feedback from schools is generally positive. Nobody likes delivering bad news and it's always easier to just say there was another candidate with more relevant experience, than to start explaining to someone why they did not come across well in an interview, or why their lesson was poor...

11. muddyjudiff

muddyjudiff New commenter

I've had nine interview since January. I'm experienced / expensive so different problems. Point being you are not alone. xx

dunnocks likes this.
  12. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The number of interviews does not really mean much. It all depends on the field and whether the post is "genuinely open". Some are just going through the process as there is a sitting incumbent. Others just invite candidates regardless of what they are really looking for. Few schools do it rigorously so they get a appointable field of candidates on the day.
    In the course of a career you will have more interviews than you will have posts- the key issue is to learn from each one and sharpen your application and interview skills.

henrypm0 and dunnocks like this.
  13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I'm having my fifth interview tomorrow.

14. splinters

splinters Established commenter

As already said, its about finding the right match. For over 20 years I walked into interviews and got the job no problem. Left a senior role a few years ago and didnt even get shortlisted for numerous jobs...went on around 8-10 interviews and still nothing. Applied for a pretty good job in industry and got it there on the spot. I left there last month and my first inteview was for a leadership position and I got it. Right place, right time, right face, right fit....so many variables so keep at it and keep positive.

henrypm0, sharktale786 and ViolaClef like this.
  15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I was offered two jobs today, after 50+ applications, and 5 or 6 interviews.

16. kennykoalabear

kennykoalabear New commenter

Congratulations!

Jen26 and dunnocks like this.
  17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Thank you

it will be you next @rapplex

x

18. berkshirebabe

berkshirebabe New commenter

I'm in that position too in terms of age /experience/cost.

How about this for a strange interview?

Went for an interview at very short notice only to have the lesson observers ( not introduced so don't know names or roles but assume SLT), leave the lesson after less than 10 minutes and when I had finished the 30 minute lesson, was taken to an office to be told I wouldn't be interviewed as the lesson hadn't shown enough pace or progress. I'm still reeling from the unprofessional way this was dealt with. Back to the drawing board.....

19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

how rude! You don't want to work there, anyway.

JL48 and berkshirebabe like this.
  20. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Have you accepted one of the posts, @dunnocks?