1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

7.5 weeks to go...I can survive!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by greasychipbuttie, Jun 3, 2019.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Would have loved to have been able to finish at the end of the last term but Ive 7.5 weeks to survive and get through...

...going to be hard, work in a special school and it’s been tough! Hardest school job I’ve had...(in 12 years in Edu!)

Taking a gamble, have nothing to go to yet but backing myself to get something by September!

Any words of encouragement to show me I can do this!?? Sat in the car park writing this...

7.5 weeks...38 days...

#prayforbuttie

Supplylady likes this.
  2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

We Good luck! Get registered on supply. Keep looking. Above all, keep your chin up.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Register with agencies (for supply if necessary) and send - or deliver by hand - your CV with a short covering letter to local schools.

Make the most of the weekends and count the days. You'll get through it x

Supplylady and greasychipbuttie like this.
  4. greasychipbuttie

Can I resign now and date my notice “31st august” or do I wait till the last week?

Not sure what to do, ideally I’d like to do best by school but at the same time I want to protect my August payment??

Resign “early” or send an email stating i will be leaving and resign officially at the end of term...or don’t send an email and simply resign as I owe the school nothing?

Thanks

5. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I suppose it depends on your school. Are they nice people who would appreciate your honesty or will they be offhand with you in your last six weeks because you're leaving?
    It would give them time to talk you round or offer you an alternative role, if that's what you want.
    Or if not and they are nice, it gives them opportunity to advertise for someone new for September.

6. marbles78

marbles78 New commenter

Because a TA pay is usually for only 39 weeks work per year, but is averaged out over 52 weeks to give your monthly pay, providing you have worked all 39 weeks, you will still get your August pay.
    I left my previous school last summer and resigned in early June, dating my resignation date as the final day of the summer term. I got my August pay and my P45 was dated as leaving their employment on the 31st August.
    I would definitely resign now to give your school the best opportunity to find a good quality replacement. You may well need a reference from them at some point so I'd try to part on good terms.

7. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

6.5 weeks to go!!!

greasychipbuttie likes this.
  8. greasychipbuttie

I only started in November? I just assumed if I worked till the end of July (summer term) id qualify for a August pay?

So if I resign and date the end of my notice as the last day of term or 31st of August it will have zero difference on pay for August?

(As long as I HAND my notice in before on or on the last day!!)

9. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Write your resignation giving last date of work as the last day of term and then you leaving on the 31st August. That’s what I did.

10. Gsr25

You could hand it in on Monday and that would be ok.

11. greasychipbuttie

Thankyou!

because I haven’t done the full school year will my pay be less in August?

I’ve tried my union but they haven’t got back to me yet!

12. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

You can do it!

13. Gsr25

I shouldn’t think so as you work in lieu of the break.

14. greasychipbuttie

5.5 weeks to go.

I’m feeling very depressed and struggling with everything. Some extremely challenging students getting me down - add to the fact we have to restrain and physically intervene...it’s so stressful!

I’m also worried about lack of employment as I doubt I’ve enough time to find another, traditional school role and this just adds the pressure!

Resigning in a couple of weeks, just using this thread as a voice as I could easily just crack.

I’ve a Uni application being considered and I’m trying to use the gym and exercise to help my mental state but I’m extremely fed up and down! Last two weekends, instead of enjoying them, i find my mind consumed by this job role...the uncertainty that lies ahead!!

...hopefully, after this rant, I will be able to enjoy the rest of the weekend!

15. Magra139jo

Magra139jo New commenter

I am on a zero hours contract at an academy nursery until July. I assist with the care of five children with special needs. I have been here since February but the staff here always seem stressed, even on a Monday. I am on the minimum wage for three years of training as I did a level one childcare course with a full time placement in a primary school in a special needs unit for pupils aged four to eleven with autistic spectrum disorders. I then did a CACHE level one in teaching and supporting learning in schools and then a level two.
    I wasn't told by the college I was at that I needed a level three as a minimum requirement, which I have now been informed by the agency boss.
    In relative terms I was earning more as a waitress doing full time and then part time hours.
    The staff don't seem to think I have had any training at all as I am not a nursery nurse, when I have done three years.

16. Gsr25

In many cases, having a level 3 doesn’t necessarily mean being paid more. I am a level 3 paid the same rate as a level 2 in the school I’m in! That said it does vary in different parts of the country.
    In support roles the pay is terrible, I was paid more working in a supermarket.

17. greasychipbuttie

What do you do now GSR?

I’m facing the reality of unemployment and the fact I’m going to have to look at roles outside of schools?!

Supermarket I done when I was 16 and before college and Uni and I struggle a little with that but at the same time, it will pay more and it’s a job!

18. Gsr25

I do outdoor learning in schools now. Still get paid a pittance.
    I worked nights in a supermarket for 4 years while my children were little and got paid a heck of a lot more then!

19. greasychipbuttie

It’s funny I have an interview on Thursday for supermarket nights!!

Not sure about the lifestyle tho? It’s contracted Sat and Sunday nights so weekend might get wiped out? Also, the thought of returning to checkout, 15 years after I worked one when at College doesn’t feel me with much positivity! That said it’s not a 24hr store!

Going to make a decision to attend or not tonight!

20. Gsr25

Congratulations on the interview.
    I think it depends on your family situation tbh, I did partial nights 3 nights a week and that was enough. I started off on checkouts but moved to nights as I got sick of customers and I could do more hours at night.

Supplylady likes this.