1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6th oct area - anyone from there (FP etc) Hyper1 apparently on fire

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by AshgarMary, Feb 3, 2011.

1. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Just been informed that apparently Hyper1 is on fire.
    I know FP lives just a couple km from there, so don't plan on going shopping tonight!

2. Dammit! I was told it was one of the few places left with bread on the shelves - suppose it will be toast now

3. I was told it was an electrical fault. Honest, I'm not one of the outgoing members of parliament....

4. It's two hours past curfew, Mary! [​IMG]
    And I'm safely tucked up in gin. [​IMG]

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I heard Carrefour in Alex had been ransacked, is it true?
    On something slightly differnet, I've been talking to a pal in Alex. One topic that came up, pay for teachers in the coming months. There's far more dodgy schools in Egypt that decent ones, how many will be paying salaries at the end of this month, especially if schools are still closed? And even the schools that do pay this month, what percentage of teachers do you think will return even if things are quiet? I understand the school at the consulate in alex has given a specific date for reopening of 13th Feb - rather optomistic.
    toast!?! very funny![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. And the Carrefour in Maadi.
    Teachers coming back - you've got to hope so.
    13th Feb - if it quietens down, which I am hopeful of, otherwise I would have gone by now.
    Pay - you might be right about the dodgy schools...
    I liked the toast joke too!

7. Take care FP We are back in the UK now. It was pretty crazy at the airport it took us about 3 hours to get our tickets sorted!! I had heard reports that Dandy Mall had been damaged as well??

8. Dandy closed - not damaged (that I know of).
    While it is quiet here, myself and Mrs. Pharaoh will hang about. The boy king is as happy as Larry not schooling and pootling around with his mates.
    Shopping fine, tv, internet, electricity, water, mobile phones all ok (no texts?). If infrastructure goes it will be discomfort rather than danger that will nudge us to get out.
    See you in a couple of weeks.

9. just heard it's an all day curfew tomorrow (Friday) - though I haven't had this confirmed yet

10. Cock. Am off to shops to see if they have been burnt down.
    All day curfew! What, 'all of Egypt' under house arrest?
    Am short of lemons and have to work up an anti-Welsh fervour for the day.

11. 8:15 - Just been looking out of the window. If there is a curfew, then so far it appears that people are ignoring it. It is Friday and many will be wanting to visit their mosques.
    You should be able to get your lemons after all.

12. Supermarket was 'lemonless' yesterday! And garlic.
    Everything else there in abundance though. No 18 year old Glenfiddich either but that didn't surprise me....

13. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

So no truth to the rumour doing the rounds over here that it's burnt to the ground then?

14. MisterMaker

I understand the need for lemons, but garlic? Can't think of a drink you'd need garlic for.
    No Glenfiddich? Bloody hell, things have taken a very serious turn for the worse. When I sip my special reserve tonight I'll be thinking of you. [​IMG]

15. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

After selling 10 litres of malt to the ace club, I'm down to my last 20 bottles of malt. Help!!!!

16. MisterMaker

only 20 left? what are you going to drink tomorrow? FP's already reported on the whiskey situation. Things sound dire out there.
    [​IMG]

17. The upper floors of Hyper have had windows blown out but I am assured this was an electrical fire.
    Grocery section still open.
    All 6N games on today and tomorrow. Fabulous.

18. Carrefour in Alex has certainly been ransacked, wrecked and left for dead.

19. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Carrefour Alex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGCkJgppNv0