1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6th form son fundraising

Discussion in 'Personal' started by susanrk, Nov 2, 2011.

1. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

My son is off on a life time experience fieldtrip next summer and needs to fundraise. What have other people found works best?
    Many thanks.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Supermarket bag packs can raise a lot of money. You need to have at least half a dozen doing it though.

A lad knocked on our door the other day to raise money for a trip like this . He was washing cars. £5 a time. He did mine, did a good job so did mrs blazer's and blazer minors afterwards.

3. Is he going through a charity? If so, they should be able to sign forms to allow him to do fundraising things like abseiling or sky diving in aid of it.
    Some sort of running / sponsored thing?
    It's also worth sending him to the local library to find addresses of funds, organisations and companies that can be applied to for such things. I did that to raise money for my gap year and got £200 from the Queen! Well, the Duchy of Lancaster (I'm from Lancaster). Put together a letter explaining what he's doing and send them off. It is a lot of effort and he might not get much back. But he could hit several little goldmines...

4. My sons both did World Challenge and had to raise a lot of money. Supermarket packing, as mentioned is a good earner, organising a car boot sale, not doing one yourself but making the money for each car, arranging gigs (if he's at all musical) friends who are in bands played and charged on the door.
    Both my sons, worked which helped hugely, and they did both get grants from local charities.

5. <h4>By brother and mother have made a fair amount of money by organizing a pub quiz in the local village hall. They charged 10 pounds a head I think and served jacket potatoes and chili. Then there was a bar with cans of beer and wine and that is where they made a shed load of money, selling beer for 2 pounds a pop or so. </h4>

6. I was going to suggest this but have also found writing quiz paper, selling it for &pound;1 (via school, parent's work places, local pub/shop) can work well. Quizzes have to be returned by certain date, then marked and prizes handed out. Don't spend more than a tenner on three prizes and you're soon in profit.

7. One of the scouts who helps out at my mum's Scrabble group did this too. You had to pay &pound;1 for it, and the questions were things like 26 L in the A (26 letters in the alphabet was the answer), and there were 3 prizes for the first 3 correct answers drawn out, I think &pound;20, &pound;10 and &pound;5.
    Then another one came round which was really clever, it was semi-cryptic clues that gave you the names of biscuits and chocolates and cakes, like there was something like "Very good in the ring", which was Rocky. You have to make sure it's not something people can just look up on the internet!
    I also suspect that most people would choose to donate their prize if they won anyway. I would.

8. Oh, and some of them were ones you can't get anymore, so you needed to ask someone a bit old to help you!