1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6th form Monitoring/tracking

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by bluetack, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi, Im currently acting Head of 6th form, covering a maternity post. As Im new to this I need some guidence and wisdom!
    I am trying to implement a more rigorous tracking programme for the 6th Form as quite alot of them just seem to be coasting at the moment.
    My idea is that subject teachers should meet with each student once per half term to inform them of progress and set targets, I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has a proforma for this kind of thing? The idea is that students/parents/head of year would get copies.
    Also I think a mentoring system needs to be in place, any ideas/ guidence/ resources would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

I'm hoping you want some advice?
    Firstly, unless your school has a very small sixth form, I don't think subject teachers are going to go out of their way to add to the workload, unless they are dedicated and motivated to do so.
    Do you have Sixth Form Tutors? If so, they are in a better position to interview students. Also, as a line manager you can make them do it. Sorry, you can explain why this strategy is being implemented and ask them to do it.
    Do you have Heads of Year? If so, utilise them to pick up the students who come out from the monitoring process as being of most concern. Don't be afraid to implement strategies that mean students have to do more focussed study time when not in lessons.
    Just one other tip, talk to the students first about what will be happening, then talk to the parents if you need to inform them.
    Good luck [​IMG]

3. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'd say that what you're thinking of is very beureaucratic and will take up far more time than you imagine. I applaud your intentions, but maybe there are better ways of doing it.
    As Ferris says above, why not ask teachers to fill in a simple grade for effort for each student once a month (electronically?) and ask their form tutors to manage the discussions. These could be targetted to those who are coasting rather than spending time setting targets for those who are already doing their best.
    You also need to keep a mind of the fact that setting targets and checking against these doesn't magically make students improve, just like weighing a pig regularly doesn't make it get any fatter. You need to have some intervention in place for those who you say are "coasting". On of the most successful I've seen so far in my school is removing their free periods and making them attend quiet study sessions instead, where a member of staff is present to ensure order.
    Do you have VI form contracts with the students who are coasting? These can have an effect to, with it being spelt out in black and white exactly what they need to do (ie, achieve certain effort grades on their reports, 100% attendance, etc) and what the sanctions are if they break these (levelled, up to ultimately being asked to leave).

4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

We do this for the lower school on Sims- it takes no more than 10 minutes for a whole class of 30+, so you wouldn't be asking a lot of your teaching staff and you would get a picture of the students' efforts across the board. Then it'd be much easier to identify those who aren't putting the effort in, and target them more specifically.
    Agreed, when I was in sixth form we had to be in the library for a certain number of frees each week, and the member of staff supervising would take a register to keep track of who was doing that (or not).

5. I'm primary, and only have a class of 30, but I use my PPA every other week to have meetings with a target group of children (one at a time) to discuss progress and targets, which they respond very well to.
    I get to see the whole class over the course of half a term, and have received some helpful feedback from the children ("I think I would find the work easier if you could give me...")

6. baitranger

baitranger New commenter

Have you considered doing this in an informal way?
    Why not put it in a way that sounds supportive of teachers?
    Ask them to give you a simple list of students who are underperforming/not working hard enough/behind with homework, with brief comments for each student.
    Perhaps write to each student's parents and tell them you're arranging supervised study time for them/give dates for submission of overdue work.
    Say in the letters that you want X to achieve the best grades possible and this measure is in his/her best interests.