1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6th form and forgetting equipment!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by charmedimsure, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Do you ever send your 6th form students out of class, so that they miss a whole lesson, for forgetting to bring text books or other equipment? How do you deal with students that are disorganised?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In my school we supply them with pens and pencils if they don't have one. Of course this has meant that the odd one or two that didn't have equipment has now swollen to 7 or 8 in every class as they learn that bringing stuff is not required. I wish we were allowed to send out kids without equipm,enmt.

3. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

If students turn up unprepared to work I set them an assignment of some sort and send them away to do it, though it tends to be for mood (disruptive behaviour type stuff) rather than equipment. Mine seem to borrow from each other if they've got a pen problem, in the sixth form at least!
    That said, why not make the point that you aren't there to provide equipment and by this age, they really should get themselves organised? You could warn them that you are going to stop lending materials like this and that if they aren't prepared for studying, they won't be allowed into the lesson (but the work will still need to be completed)- it shouldn't take long for the message to sink in and even less if you involve parents as well.

4. Yes, I have had this problem within my higher class, I give the students a pen if they forget one, but if it continues then I bring the school's discipline system

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Bottom line folks is that we are there to help and encourage students to learn. Yes, forgetting stuff is irritating, but it's not really that big a deal. Some people are a lot less organised than others, why make their life even harder.

So, have a few cheap pens and calculators to lend out, let students share books. Your lesson won't disappear down a black whole if you are nice to your students.

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Which includes the encouragement of effective organisation and self discipline.
    It will be when (if) they go into employment.
    Just explain to me why 18 year olds need to be pandered to?

7. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

True but you will not be teaching the right lessons to these students.

In the big bad world, there is no friendly teacher there to give out equipment if forgotten. What would happen if I constantly forgot to bring my equipment to work. Oh yeah, my HT would sack me!

We spend far too much time letting kids off this, forgiving kids for that. How about a little tough love? How about a few consequences for not being ready to learn?

8. Thanks for replies everyone. I'm actually an LSA supporting 3 students in the 6th form. I can understand why persistently forgetting equipment would be unacceptable and annoying. I have witnessed several occasions where students were sent out the very first time they forgot a text book. Obviously a case of tough love from this particular member of staff. I agree with others who say that forgetting pens or pencils is not really a problem as the students tend to borrow from each other. I was really wondering if you all thought the sanctions for forgetting equipment in the 6th form is different (or should be) to lower school? Having never been to uni what happens if you are disorganised there? Would you be asked to leave lectures if you forgot to bring something?

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Most lecturers, in my experience, couldn't care less what you brought to the lecture theatre.
    Although I do remember one of mine used to get really annoyed at me doing the crossword in his lectures...

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Having done invigilation at my local university I can tell you that it is not uncommon for students to arrive without a pen for exams. Probably the result of being cossetted and nannied through school, incliuding sixth form.

11. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

As long as you passed, most lecturers didn't mind if you didn't turn up for their lectures, and I remember one professor admitting to not turning up when he was a student. In fact the following joke was quite popular.

Lecturer: You got 95% in my exam, but I only remember seeing you at one of my lectures.

Student: Are yes, that was the topic I lost marks on.