1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6th February, 1952

Discussion in 'Personal' started by markuss, Feb 6, 2012.

1. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I can remember it really clearly. Everyone called into assembly. The headmaster, in the silence, after a long pause, telling us children that, on that day, there was to be no running down the road, no playing in our streeets and no shouting out when we got home. The King had died. "Long live the Queen," he said.
    So, we all went home quietly and kept our marbles in our pockets. (Well, the boys, anyway. I don't think the girls played marbles.)

2. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

I wasn't even born then but my prayer in collective worship today was about the Queen. Several children knew what day it was - not many though.

3. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

My mum remembers being called into assembly too - I'm sure many do. She especially remembers the shock that the King had died. I'm chuffed for the Queen making it 60 years - she's done us proud.

4. Some people moan about the Queen but I think all things considered she did a good job. DOES a good job I should say. Yes she made a few blunders, who doesn't? I also think she was very beautiful in her youth.

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Yes!
    After feeling ancient at school (we have a LOT of very young teachers), and completely over the hill if I ever walk past a club (wouldn't dare actually go clubbing, and venture inside one these days), I've finally come across a thread that makes me feel young.
    I wasn't born then - my first royal memory is of teachers going on about the Silver Jubilee when I was at Junior School.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I don't remember this day but I remember travelling to Portsmouth to watch the Coronation on TV.

7. I hope she lives forever so that we don't have to have that *** son of hers as head of state.

8. it only said id10t

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sorry but if you believe in a Monarchy, then you have to take the good with the bad.
    And if you don't, then it's going to be a tough year with all this Diamond Jubilee stuff straight after the Royal Wedding Year. [​IMG]

10. personally I'd favour a republic once the Queen dies. I think she does have a commitment to service and doesn't let her personal views into the public domain, which is something that Charles has never managed.

11. Oh, I have to agree - finally a thread that has made me feel young!
    I was not alive in 1952, however I did grow up with the full daily knowledge that the death of the King was a great shock and our "young" Queen was a blessing to us all.
    I think she has done a great job so far.
    I think Charles would be just as dutiful.
    But of course, I think William has been trained to be a "modern" King.
    But Lizzy is cool - I like her dignity and tenacity. It is very British and when you live abroad, you learn to appreciate that kind of thing.
    You wouldn't find her involved in a scandal a la Wulff.

12. William for King!!

13. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Just have a little patience.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Girls were certainly playing marbles a few years later. I was born in 1953 and remember making holes in loose tarmac in the playground to play with my stash of marbles (oners, twoers etc). At home I had to be careful and keep them out of reach of my younger siblings.
    The momentous occasion I can remember was the school being called to silent prayer on the day that James Hanratty was hung. I recall being stunned that the State was allowed to cold-bloodedly kill someone and even wondered how it could be justified when mistakes must surely happen with convictions.