1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

61% of students excluded from school end up in prison....

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lovejoy_antiques, May 24, 2018.

1. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Agreed

border_walker likes this.
  2. mcc1808

mcc1808 New commenter

Having taught in a YOI for over nine years, the correlation between being excluded and going to prison is a given (however, I do question the given stats here). Exclusion, nevertheless, is a sociological issue rather than an educational one. This is where we should start.

3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

You are a drug dealer? LOL
    What are you disagreeing with? Do you think it unlikely that people who behave this way in school might behave this way out.

4. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

Fair enough - missing a comma after experience makes it grammatically ambiguous, if you want to be pedantic. (Easily done on a phone, hence the spelling errors).

When I said, "They wouldn't be this way in school, but totally different people outside school." - I meant students who are drug dealing, violent criminals behave in the same way in and out of school.

So the behaviours that see them permanently excluded from school also see them entering the criminal justice system after leaving school.

Catgirl1964 and drek like this.
  5. drek

drek Lead commenter

I teach such children day in and day out.
    like many others I get told to strictly adhere and follow the school behaviour policy which is the same for the student who starts fights in school, bullies others both physically and verbally, swears at staff, damages/steals school property.... as it is for the student who ‘merely’ chats all lesson instead of completing their work.
    In such groups I am kept busy by the school’s own policy ensuring that the first lot don’t cause harm to others who are getting on with their work mostly independently when in fact they may need far more support in the classroom.
    This is because there is nowhere to put these students after they enact pretty serious incidents on a daily basis.
    At some point they get caught doing something so outrageous in front of senior staff that they get to sit quietly for one day somewhere else (really serious punishment) and we get messages requesting for ‘suitable work’.......next day they return to our classes to ‘start fresh’ happily secure in the knowledge that they can carry on the way they did before......all we can do is give them reminders and set detentions. Phone home?
    Parents of these students don’t pick up the phone once they recognise the school number....and when they do......we should really be allowed to record these conversations!

It’s been the same story for the past 15 years.
    Only on top of that we got to be further abused by being observed with these students to put us in our proper places by line managers, who made sure they did not have any of these students in their groups!
    Except for small periods of time during which they were able to get rid of these students every lesson by....yes you got it......circumventing the very behaviour policy the rest of us have to observe day in and day out by order of SLT......
    these staff were modelled as prime examples of outstanding teaching and subsequently went on to obtain more leadership points.......with select groups for teaching....
    (oh does that group behave well, exceed targets, work hard for you?
    Great....I’ll take them over next term.....to stretch and challenge them a bit more than you’re doing.).......easily and manipulatively.....it’s done using performance management terms.

In the meantime the challenging students enter the real world a few years later and sadly end up where perhaps many wouldn’t if intervention was undertaken by all stakeholders not just the classroom teacher having to wade through their curriculums to meet assessment and data entry deadlines or else fail some other performance ‘standard’.

Oscillatingass and Catgirl1964 like this.
  6. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

About the same percentage of prison inmates are functionally illiterate. I do wonder if severe reading difficulties combined with indifferent parenting are largely to blame.

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Parenting is not destiny. Crime is simply the pragmatic option for many people. The fewer skills you have, the fewer moves are open to you in the short term.

8. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

The fewer moves are open to you in the short term... And perhaps the dissatisfaction and frustration when it dawns on them that this is their lot when ' life owes them a living' which is a common mindset in today's youngsters. ' I want everything everyone else has' without making the effort, legally, to obtain it. Unfortunately, the media exacerbates this way of thinking, increasing materialism.

install likes this.