1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6000 calories on Christmas Day

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Dec 23, 2019.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

6000 calories is the estimated intake on Christmas Day.
    Now, I can pack it away but no way could I get close to 6000 calories. I just don't have the physical capacity...............even with booze.
    I know it's easy to pile up the calories, but I usually have a couple of glasses of bubbles, a couple of glasses of wine and my lunch................which is mainly lean turkey and veggies. I have a small portion of pudding. This leaves me stuffed for the entire day. I cannot face more food in the evening, and I just have toast for breakfast as I'm too busy and CBA to mess about with fancy stuff.
    6000 calories does me 4-5 days!

nizebaby and needabreak like this.
  2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It doesn't matter,it's a well known fact that Christmas calories do not count!

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I don't have the sort of appetite I used to have. I, and the rest of the family, used to have a Christmas lunch and pud at lunchtime, then have sandwiches and cake around tea time followed by savoury snacks - sausage rolls, pork pie etc, in the evening. These days I'm full after lunch but manage to nibble on some savoury bits and the odd chocolate in the evening. I buy too much.

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

It's possible especially when the boredom sets in, i.e. TV repeats and for many, being with members of the family, a lot of tensions and past issues come to the fore.:(

For me, it's taken years, but I now treat Christmas as a time to eat foods I don't normally, like crisps and vegetarian sausage rolls. Yep, only at Christmas and just have a normal meal with a lot more snacking in between.

No chocolates this Christmas and from 2020, I'm gonna be totally meat free. I've been red meat free for years, but still eating fish.

A Great and healthy o_OChristmas to you one and all. And have the best ever Decade of your life!

Cat
    :)

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I see where you are coming from re snakcing @catbefriender, but I rarely snakc and don't buy crisps etc. I've long since given up on buying choclates since they put Quality Street in a plastic (!!!!) box, reduced the size and maintained the price. I do not like being taken for a fool!

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've always thought that the estimated calories seems a bit crazy. I can't imagine eating that much.

We do have ham and eggs for breakfast, but that's a family tradition Mrs909 is insistent on, otherwise I'd be happy with toast or a slice of panettone.

Our Christmas lunch will be fairly simple, as always. And sensibly portioned. Overladen plates absolutely put me off. Nothing worse.

I'm always too full for pud on the day, given how rich it is. Will probably have ours Boxing Day!

There will be a little cheese available fit the evening, but only if we want it.

I think people eat for the sake of it on Christmas Day. I know people who see it as a badge of honour! Fair play, if that's what they want, but not for me. I'd be mainlining Rennies!

nizebaby likes this.
  7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I hate overladen plates too. They're total appetite-killers.

We're having duck, roast potatoes and parsnips and braised red cabbage for dinner, with spanish orange flan for pud and smoked eel to start with. Of I only have a little of each thing, I'll be able to have some of everything.

6000 calories? Not for me!

BelleDuJour likes this.