1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6 years in post and no contract - dodgy?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by poopyjamas, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I have been employed for almost 6 years, full time, permanent and with TLR2 responsibility, but i have never been issued with a copy of a written contract, nor have i signed one which is kept on file.
    My questions are, in light of the "cuts" which are happening left and right, does this leave me in a tricky situation, if my employer suddenly decides that they no longer need me? Or if they decide that my TLR payment is no longer necessary They have been doing some pretty awful things of late to other members of staff, so i do no trust them at all. Also, i would like to know, have they broken any code of conduct by not providing me with a contract, or is a paper contract not necessary?
    I have asked in writing for a contract, but i know what admin and organisation is like in my school, so i expect it to be promptly forgotten about. I also know of other colleagues who do not have contracts, and of colleagues who had to ask 3 times in writing before being finally issued with one. The best was a colleague who recieved one in the post after leaving!
    It is completely out of order, i know, so i woud like to know if i am in a position to be making a fuss about this, or whether my current position means i should be sweetness and light until i have the piece of paper signed.

2. I have been employed for almost 6 years, full time, permanent and with TLR2 responsibility, but i have never been issued with a copy of a written contract, nor have i signed one which is kept on file.
    My questions are, in light of the "cuts" which are happening left and right, does this leave me in a tricky situation, if my employer suddenly decides that they no longer need me? Or if they decide that my TLR payment is no longer necessary They have been doing some pretty awful things of late to other members of staff, so i do no trust them at all. Also, i would like to know, have they broken any code of conduct by not providing me with a contract, or is a paper contract not necessary?
    I have asked in writing for a contract, but i know what admin and organisation is like in my school, so i expect it to be promptly forgotten about. I also know of other colleagues who do not have contracts, and of colleagues who had to ask 3 times in writing before being finally issued with one. The best was a colleague who recieved one in the post after leaving!
    It is completely out of order, i know, so i woud like to know if i am in a position to be making a fuss about this, or whether my current position means i should be sweetness and light until i have the piece of paper signed.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Is it a Local Authority school? Can you contact HR at the Local Authority?
    Is there a Business manager? Go and see him/her, say that you understand that by not providing you with a written contract, your current conditions of service are protected by employment law. In addition the school is in breach of employment law by not providing you with a written statement of your mains conditions of employment. Say that you don't want to cause the school problems over this, despite the view of the union (which would be that you should kick up a fuss, I promise you!), so could s/he please get it sorted pronto so that you can reassure the union that it is not a problem.
    Good luck!
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. In the case of teachers, as I understand things, a written contract per se is not necessary.
    In most cases a new teacher would receive a letter formally offering the post, a copy of which the employee is asked to sign and return.
    Teachers terms and conditions are nationally agreed, as far as state schools are concerned and are contained in the Burgundy Book and STPCD
    The fact that the OP has not seen or signed a "contract" is really neither here nor there.