1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6 years in - never had a TLR

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Progressnerd, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

I'll be going into my 7th year as a teacher this September (secondary) at my third school. In my career I've only applied for one TLR job which I didn't get.

Is anyone else in the same boat where they've never had any responsibility other than a teacher?

I'm starting to think about the future and whether I'll need more money.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Years ago 6 years in without paid responsibility was quite usual. In primary most areas of responsibility were unpaid anyway. And in my case that included supporting colleagues , buying /ordering resources, planning the curriculum across the entire school for my subject and ensuring staff had sufficient training. Being a class teacher doesn't restrict you pursuing new knowledge and responsibility.

Just having one knock-back isn't the end of the world yet. Few people get even the first few posts they interview for with enhanced posts.

What I do suggest however is that you ensure you take every opportunity to accept / offer to take responsibility for any possible areas which could enhance any future applications. Ditto with any potential training.

3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Congratulations! (No sarcasm, I genuinely think avoiding TLRs is a good thing!)
    If you want more money, mark exam scripts or do private tutoring. When I had a TLR, the extra £2000 or so worked out at about £40 a week which I felt was just a kick in the teeth considering the extra work I had to do.
    Stupidly, it looks like I'm not going to take my own advice though and may be going for one too next year. At least this one is subject related rather than pastoral and I actually perform most of the responsibilities anyway. Hopefully it's not going to be as bad...

4. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Done nearly 20.years , 19 without a TLR
    I took.on a head of ks3 post as a maternity cover at one point. Hated it, lots of extra aggro for little reward
    I was delighted when the post holder returned. If you do want a TLR take opportunities to.go on courses and take on small.responsibilities Don't fall.into the trap of taking on large projects with no pay but the promise there will.be a TLR next term/ year there almost certainly won't be

5. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

TLR definitely not all it is cracked up to be! I frequently wonder about whether in a few years time I would hand back ups and tlr to just be left alone in my classroom, only hve my books/planning/marking and dept meetings to do!

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Depends on the TLR. In terms of the extra work, mine paid more per hour than my base salary, and I actually enjoyed the role, especially when I could develop things which helped my colleagues. But I was just a humble second in Maths, and I had no desire to go any higher.

7. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Ask yourself why do you want a TLR? If you can't think of good reasons it's almost certainly not worth it. People with a TLR get extra work at the worst times of year, money and status won't normally cut it long-term. What's your vision? Where do you want to take the role? How will it help the students?

If the answer is "I want a TLR to do x, y and z" that gives you your way forward, what skills do you need to make x, y and z happen? What skills do you already have? Where do you have a skills gap? Can you ask your current line manager to help you fill these gaps? Are there volunteer roles within the school that you can take up to earn some "brownie points"? What have you done and what are you doing to build your capacity to drive change? What reason would someone have to want to employ you and believe that you would be an asset?

Ask a friend, who is involved in recruitment, to take a critical look at your CV and give you reasons why they may not employ you for a role. Have you moved between jobs a lot (three schools in six years is very high)? Do you have a low class degree? Then think about ways to fix the issues that arise, for example if your degree isn't a 2:1 or a first maybe you need to complete a masters? Maybe you need to stay at one school for a whole exams cycle and show the value you have added, etc.

I was a classroom teacher for around 8 years before I got my first TLR role and I did that against my will...... So don't worry too much, especially if you teach a core subject or primary - most teachers in these situations won't have a TLR.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Don't fret about it... relax and enjoy what you are doing.
    I vaguely think you moved to the private sector where people tend to move up the ranks slightly more slowly, though there is plenty of opportunities to get involved in other things that are fun and enhance your CV.
    If you are happy and enjoying what you are doing, then carry on.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've been a teacher for over 20 years now

Never had a TLR, never applied for a job that had one, never will.

10. bobtes

bobtes Occasional commenter

I never wanted a TLR. I did actually end up with a minor one (in the days before they were called TLRs, think it was a "management allowance") for about 9 years mainly as I was the seemingly the only person in the school who could do a certain role.
    But I quit it when it got too big, and reverted back to being a teacher for the past 12 years or so.
    A recently retired colleague of mine who was never anything other than a classroom teacher referred to himself as "the beat bobby" which I really liked.

11. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I've never had one in more than 20 years of teaching although they are rarer in primary. I'd be thinking about what kind of TLR role you want and why (apart from the money) - do you want something more subject based or pastoral? They can be quite a lot of hassle for not that much dollar as others have pointed out.
    If you're who I think you are, you've moved to an independent school after a rough time at a state school. Would you work in a state school again? This would widen your options but you may feel that independent schools are a better fit for you.
    What I would say (and my own recent thread will help you understand my thinking) is that if you are happy in your school then that is a big plus and not to be given up lightly. Teaching can be very tough as you've already experienced and it doesn't necessarily get easier. Good luck whatever you decide though.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I was teaching for 10 years before I had a TLR (it was the second one I applied for – I certainly didn't apply for just anything).

As highlighted above, many teachers pick up unpaid responsibilities as time goes on. I can definitely think of things I was 'in charge' of across my English faculty from my second year of teaching. More recently, I've even been an unpaid head of department (including managing the budget). Even now I've got responsibilities that fall outside my TLR.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The amount of extra money you get for being say HOD of a core subject in a secondary school and the extra work that entails is in no way worth it these days.

14. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Oh yes I’ve had a TLR and also been in senior leadership. I’m so pleased to ‘just’ be a classroom teacher now. Oftentimes it’s a poisoned chalice.

15. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I've managed to go 31 years without getting one. Way too little money for what you have to do in return.

16. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with continuing as a teacher without additional responsibilities.

By the same token, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to develop your career. Some people are lucky and in the right place at the right time for opportunities. I never was!

Don’t be put off by not getting one job - if everyone gave up after that, no one would get anywhere. Seek out opportunities and emphasise how much working in three very different schools has really helped you see what is needed for the KS3 curriculum (for a first TLR it will almost certainly involve working with KS3!)

It’s true that at first the extra money is a small amount but by the same token if you don’t take those early opportunities then routes like senior management won’t be open - again, you may not want this but that is usually when teaching becomes very well paid.

steely1 likes this.
  17. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I totally agree that the money you get for a TLR is not worth it. Schools use it to give you tons of extra expectations and responsibility, treating you almost as management for pennies extra a month. My TLR (English, albeit primary) required about 2-3 hours extra work a week, plus some weeks where hours and hours were on top, for example when book week was coming, Ofsted were looming, book banding needed doing...I would have earnt thousands more if I'd spent those hours private tutoring, and had a lot less stress too!

18. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

When I was teaching my pay slip showed the pittance the 'extra responsibility' was actually worth.
    One figure for the spine point and the other for TLR.
    Very big mistake when LEA's showed pay in this way.
    If you are concerned about your career, sit down with your HT and have a discussion.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Dont be anxious about not getting a TLR yet, but money was always important to me so I'd encourage you to go for anything that comes up that you think you have something to offer.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I supplement my teaching income by doing tutoring - which I love. I can make an extra few hundred pounds a month doing that rather than get a TLR.

Abitofeverything and Lara mfl 05 like this.