1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6 weeks to go and failing

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by homesickalien, May 8, 2012.

1. Hi, not sure what to do. I'm not enjoying this course and now don't want to be a teacher. I've failed all observations on this placement mainly due to planning and behaviour management. Should I just quit?

2. What are the main reasons for you not wanting to be a teacher? Have you been asking for support with planning and behaviour management? I don't always enjoy my course - sometimes I feel I am just sticking it out because I know it is simply something that needs to be done in order for me to become a teacher. I doubt anybody enjoys something all of the time.

3. You must talk through the issues with your tutor. You need to know exactly what the situation is and what the university thinks about your chances of retrieval. If you simply quit then you may give up any chance of a resit. It could well be that teaching is just not for you, but do not make a snap decision - explore all the options available and make sure that you take independent advice e.g. from student support.
    The Sage

4. Although you are not enjoying the course, do you still enjoy the teaching? if so then I would take some serious consideration on the decision to quit. The PGCE is a notoriously tough course due to time pressure, work load and expectations. However, as many on here have said that once you have finished your NQT it is very different. You say that your failing due to planning or behaviour management, is this something that your class teacher can help you with? Has he/she given you any guidance on how to improve? Is it possible to talk to your mentor? If you still enjoy the teaching element it is definitely still worth fighting for since you have come so far. Try all avenues before you quit that way you wil have no regrets.