1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6 weeks off work: what to DO?!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Lilybett, Jan 1, 2012.

1. I've been signed off for six weeks with a broken ankle. While, of course, I'm not sad to be missing the 6am starts and 14-hour days, the R&R novelty will very quickly wear off!
    Any suggestions for what to DO for this long?! I'm really not very mobile at all - getting up and down the stairs takes, like, 10 minutes and a lot of bad language so I'm looking for very sedentary activities. I'd love to do a course or something, like a correspondence course, but I don't think they really exist in real-life. I could write loads of letters to the TES in the hope of a new journalistic career opening up. Ooops, step away from the 60mg codeines, Lilybett... [​IMG]
    xxx

2. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Read classic novels - have you got a Kindle or a friend who can get to the library?
    Do you knit / cross stitch / needlepoint / crochet .... now would be a great time to learn if not.
    Have you got/ can you borrow a Wii? Just Dance works for waving your arms about - would give you some form of exercise.
    Learn a language online.
    Plan the most amazing lessons for when you can return to work. You have hours and hours to search for and create the perfect resources.
    And make the most of the painkillers - you've been signed off for good reason. Rest & recover :)

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Spend the time working out why the hell you are working 14 hour days and how to stop it?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I do sympathise. I have been at home recovering from a knee replacement for the whole of December. I have read, crocheted, done crosswords and puzzles, done jigsaws and had lots of friends visiting all bringing with them delicious microwaveable lunches from M&S and Waitrose. I have my bed in the sitting room because my bathroom is downstairs and the stairs are difficult; the room has become my haven. Perhaps you can learn to adjust to a less rushed existence so that when you do return to work you will no longer find it necessary, productive or healthy to be working all your waking hours. You've got time for reflection now. Good luck.

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/
    Online free courses that take from 1 to 50 hours. Plenty of choice!

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Never seen that before - looks really interesting.

7. When I broke my ankle last year - I learnt to draw, by following online tutorials at drago.art.com best thing I ever did!

8. I was about to suggest doing art. but ab86 beat me to it. :)

If you don't want to draw, you could do something like knitting or embroidery (very satisfying and time-consuming, according to my sister)

9. casper

casper New commenter

Research your family tree. I was off work ill and did this from home. It became quite a hobby. It is amazing how much you can find out about your families past without even leaving home. Read some books that you have been longing to have time to for. I was off while having cancer treatment and did not always feel like doing very much. Make the most of your time off and relax. Take care.

10. Thank you for your fab ideas! xx
    I got quite grumpy with everyone today, because I was in pain (hellooooo, being a little 'liberal' with the painkiller dosage...) and bored and frustrated and jealous that everyone else went out last night and beginning to think that everyone should develop psychic abilities to be able to sense what I will need before I have to ask! This definitely highlighted the need to have things to fill my time with, apart from popping pills and watching soaps.
    Those OU mini-courses sound awesome! So much to choose from! Thanks so much for the link to those; I really hope another bored sickie stumbles across that link because they really sound great. Like reclaiming a little bit of studentdom!
    I had thought about getting back into art a while ago when I had cause to draw (!), but then realised I didn't have the luxury of that kind of time to just be still and concentrate... Off to investigate that link next. I used to be quite a keen little sketcher, and I got high on Monet for a while and went bananas for oils. What a perfect opportunity to rediscover loves like this!
    AND in chitchat, I am constantly apologising for the fact that I have apparently seen NO films ever aside from Four Weddings, The Sound of Music and Withnail, so my dear friend came round today with a stack of films #everybody has to see before they can take their place in the human race' (Home Alone, Grease, etc.!). Kinda looking forward to a duvet day while everyone else goes back to work mwahaha
    Maybe this can be fun. Everyone else is grumping round getting ready to go back to work tomorrow... Every cloud...! Thank you all again for your brill suggestions and links xxxxx

11. ROSIEGIRL

Lilybet I'm jealous.
    (Apart from the pain etc)

12. This is what all my pals say. They say this whilst hitting me when I whinge. My colleagues are at an INSET today. I am doing a little online sales shopping. I know you hate me [​IMG] xxxxxxxxxxxx

13. I suggest looking at this website which offers several types of courses I have been working on these since I got made redundant so have loads of certificates to show what I have been doing whilst off work.
    http://www.emailcollege.co.uk/categories.php?id=4

You select the course you want to do from the list:

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tr><td style="padding-left:10px;font-size:12px;">Business</td></tr><tr><td style="padding-left:10px;font-size:12px;">Personal Development</td></tr><tr><td style="padding-left:10px;font-size:12px;">Jobs & Careers</td></tr><tr><td style="padding-left:10px;font-size:12px;">Health</td></tr><tr><td style="padding-left:10px;font-size:12px;">Information Skills</td></tr><tr><td style="padding-left:10px;font-size:12px;">Creativity & Ideas</td></tr><tr><td style="padding-left:10px;font-size:12px;">Consumer Issues</td></tr><tr><td style="padding-left:10px;font-size:12px;">Writing Guides</td></tr></table>

then each day they email you the next lesson. When you have completed the lessons, you receive an email with a certificate, so well worth doing.
    You could redo your lesson plans for the summer term, researching for different means of presenting the same lesson, creating new resources, develop your resources for the gifted and talented as well as the special needs etc.
    What about begin writing up your reports? If you have copies of your previous reports, then use them as a template and save as 2012 copies and then when they come through, link them up etc.
    Produce your assessments of your students on their current work - you could produce little memo's for each of the students to advise them of what they should be doing whilst in your absence....just remember that as you are off for more than 2 weeks, you are not responsible for setting the lessons - it is for your HOD to do that.
    Hope you can cope with your 'free time' and don't go to mad.

14. Hey, thanks for this.
    I very much like the idea of getting a certificate to show. Am definitely going to investigate that link, thank you.
    I did NOT know I am not responsible for planning the lessons! I have almost finished planning the work for Thur and was just about to email it in. Maybe I'll just do Thur and Fri for this week (mini-week) and see if anyone tells me to STOP! I'm a primary teacher, so no HoD. Who would be responsible for the planning, then? Will they just photocopy one of the other Y3 teachers' plans and use those? Blimey, I am glad you told me this!
    Reports are a good idea. Thankfully, I brought my English APP file home over Xmas so I can produce detailed English assessments for all of them. I'm on painkillers that are making me quite zooey at the moment hehe so when I'm off those, this kind of thing will be a good time-filler.
    I'd kind of forgotten how much time flies when yer planning! It's hard to make yourself sit down and do it hehe but once you do, hours can zoom by :)
    Sucks about redundancy. Sucks really badly that the public sector is taking such a bad hit - I hope more people get more angry. How is the job landscape where you are? With all good wishes that you're back in work very, very soon xxx

15. ROSIEGIRL

The problem with planning from a distance (even if you want/are able to do it ) is that you can't take the children's progress/problems into account because you're not actually teaching and marking the work.
    Who is taking your class for the 6 weeks you're off? They should be doing the planning now!