1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6 long weeks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knickersinatwist, Jul 9, 2011.

1. For the first time ever I am facing the 6 week holiday alone and I'm quite nervous about it. I have recently moved back to my home town and don't really have any friends here, as they have either moved on distance wise (best friend is abroad but visiting is not an option) or we just have nothing in common any more.

If the weather is nice I'll be fine as I'll pop my deck chair in the garden and read but we all know that 6 weeks of sunshine is very unlikely! I have no idea what to do with my time - I've always had my own place to potter around in but I can't really do that now. I can go to the gym / cinema but I have no idea what to do indoors where I will probably be most of the time - I don't have any indoor hobbies.

Basically, I am looking for suggestions of things that I can do on those days when the weather is a little bit grey. Thank you :)

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Put a coat on and go out anyway.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Take up photography (great excuse to get out) and buy a decent set of waterproofs.

Somebody once said there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing. It doesn't work in Hurricanes but most of the time it's reasonable advice.

Alternatively if you insist on staying indoors you could always try walking from Land's End to John 'o' Groats in Google Streetview.

4. I have lots of waterproofs (I am a very seasoned camper and outdoor person whatever the weather) however I can't go out all day every day and it is those times when I am home alone that I am worried about.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Posted a long reply and it's gone. There are plenty of things to get up to in those 6 weeks including stuff you can do at home:
    Study for something you've never done
    Research your family tree
    Batch cook for the freezer
    Make jam/preserves
    Decorate/DIY
    Knit/embroider
    Read
    Write a blog/set up a website

Or get yourself out: voluntary work, day trips, holiday alone. I genuinely have difficulty imagining why keeping busy for six weeks is a problem.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Threads like this really annoy me ...

7. What I would give for six weeks holiday over the Summer.
    That is all I get for a whole year.
    I wouldn't be bored for a minute.

8. It is not really the 2 weeks though, is it

It is the being alone and unsure

There are plenty of indoor hobbies that you could start

Are you crafty at all ... card making or jewellery making

I liked the idea of photography ... get some great pictures and make calendars to give out a Christmas

Try to cook something new each day ... just shopping for nice ingredients and cooking can be fun

9. bnm

bnm

I found myself facing quite long stretches of this coming holiday alone (I'm happily married, but he works away a lot).
    So......I made some phone calls ( I am from a large family) and am now so busy I don't know where I'll fit in time to do the essential work I need to do!
    However, if the above isn't an option, what works for me is a bit of structure.
    I make a plan of things I want to achieve (tidying the house from top to bottom broken up into a room a day is usually on the list). I then metally set myself each day a task from the list and a reason to be out and about. That means the time I have for leisure is more appreciated.
    I enjoy radio 4 in the holidays and spend happy hours listening whilst painting, or doing a jigsaw (or tidying yet another cupboard).
    I would also scan for what's on in the local area. I believe in joining clubs and groups (many places do one-off walks) if I'm feeling a bit lonely. I had an empty day last year and was feeling a bit fed up so got in the car and visited a local historical town for a mooch around and playing at being a tourist.
    Have you any family/friends you could contact and be honest with, just saying you'd like a bit of company?

10. I wish we got the full 6 weeks, seems to have gone down to 5 these days. Still can't complain. I do understand your feelings though as I'm in the same position, even though I'm dying for the hols too as am so tired!

11. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Don't read them then. [​IMG]

12. knickers - is your mum at home during the day?

13. No she works - she is out 7am-7pm during the week and then 8am-5pm Saturday. The only day she will be home is Sunday. Obviously there are things I can do around the house, and yes I can go out for walks etc. I guess maybe it is the feeling of being so isolated for so long that is bothering me.

14. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I find it difficult as well x

15. ah, that is a pity.
    What about some of your colleagues? Could you meet up? (would you want to?)
    Or maybe there are some TESSers nearby?

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Assuming you will have access to the internet and TES whilst staying at your mums, any time you feel bored/lonely/stuck kicking space you could come on here and a kind Tesser will set you a task for the day . . . . we could view it as a Challenge Anneka type thing
    As an example; "Today your task is to take a class at your local gym and strike up a conversation with at least 3 strangers".
    Then you could come back and tell us what happened.
    Sometimes the silliest sounding ideas turn out to be fun.

17. Luckily mum knows how I feel (we are close) and we are going to try and do things on Sundays just to break things up a bit. One week is sorted as I will take my guide group camping - I wish it was in the middle of the holidays though! I have mentioned to a couple of colleagues about meeting up for coffee so hopefully something will come of that. I have decided to give myself a month off of debt repaying so I can afford to go out and do things - have looked into a couple of clubs I could join where hopefully I might meet some people with similar interests (I am an outdoors kind of girl - unlike any of my friends!).

18. ooo Kibosh that sounds like it could be fun :)

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Well it might be . . .. it's good to know you prefer the outdoors . . . . .. many of us are on here fairly early in the day . . . . .we might need an idea of your locality but you don't need to be too specific . . . .will you have access to transport?

20. Wait - before you do that!
    There are plenty of outdoors groups where you could be out and about doing things for free!
    Maybe your local park needs volunteers to clear up, check on play grounds, etc (check with your local council).
    Or you could volunteer - check with the National Trust if they need workers nearby to you. You could even get paid (a pittance).
    Are there any local races etc going on - you could work as a marshal.
    Could you find someone who needs a puppy walker? (check with blind dogs for the blind).
    Have a gange here
    http://www.voluntaryworker.co.uk/volunteering-with-national-trust.html
    http://www.do-it.org.uk/doit/help/outsideengland
    http://www.guidedogs.com/site/PageServer?pagename=help_volunteer