1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6 interviews and still no job..

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gems07, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT stressing over securing my first teaching position. Over the past 2/3 months I have been to 6 interviews.. 2 of which I have to admit my lessons were not fabulous however, the other 4 gave feed back stating 'you have not doing anything wrong, there was just someone stronger.'

Anyone know what I can do to make sure I am the stronger person??
    Also, is 6 alot of interviews? All my friends seem to get their first or second? xx

2. Personally I feel 6 is a lot but others will say it is not - so I think whether or not 6 is a lot depends on the area you live in, the job market and perhaps your own confidence/skills/experience and perhaps, as an NQT, any gradings you may have come out of uni with that may reflect on your references.
    I was very lucky last year, I got the first job I was interviewed for, but it took me about 4 applications before I got an interview - took me a while to find this forum and follow the advice ;-) It was a mat cover but enough to start me on my NQT year. Then I applied for two more post in November with a January start, one a mat cover and another a fixed term contract until August. I gained interviews for both and accepted the first post as it was the fixed term until August so didn't partake in the second interview.
    This year I applied for 9 posts, and again took me the first couple of applications to get it right again, and of two of these they were KS1 and I think they wanted someone with more KS1 experience than me (only 1 placement) so it was always a bit of a long shot. Of those 9 applications I gained 4 interviews. 2 of these schools weren't right for me at all so was glad when I didn't get the jobs (and learned a lot about the sort of job I wanted. I got the 4th job I was interviewed for ( was second and recommended to the school where I got the job in the other interview).
    Perhaps I have been very lucky or targeted my applications quite well - not entirely sure or maybe just had the confidence that I was going to get the jobs (did the same when i took my driving test, e,g, it never occured to me I wouldn't get the job).

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Six interviews is excellent - many people are applying for 20 or 30 jobs with no success! So you have done very well.
    Point 1 Are you following the advice in the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Point 2 And finally, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train to come to the seminars on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    There is aslo an Interview training session on that day - e-mail Julia advice@tsleducation.com for details.
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. I got the right job on my sixth interview, don't give up yet! I did turn down two fixed term contracts for the second and fifth attempts, but I was unsuccessful at the other three interviews.
    I think you probably need to analyse what has been happening, though. Do you think you are weaker in the lesson part or the interview part? I know my main weakness was teaching in front of a panel. I couldn't do it. During two of the lesson observations, my hands were literally shaking and I muddled things up because I was so nervous, including introducing one behaviour strategy and then using another [​IMG] I decided I had to do something about my terrible nerves, so simplified my lesson plans for the last two interviews and practised "blanking" techniques where I literally blanked out the observers. It sounds daft but it did help me! I was offered both jobs so it worked. The head of the school where I have my job said on the 'phone "I can't believe you haven't been snapped up yet, haven't you had many interviews?" and I had to stop myself from laughing! I honestly believe that nerves are a huge issue for lots of us- if you've failed once, twice, six times, you just expect to fail again and that probably comes across.
    Think of all the great things about you, what are your strengths? I wrote down my core strengths (very honestly!) and had a think about how I could use these to answer various questions. I also planned lessons which played to my strengths as I hadn't been doing that previously, I was trying to please the observers too much when I was planning. I decided to think about what I did best in the classroom- for me it was relationships with the children, questioning and dialogue and using humour. I planned activities which showed these strengths off, eg. encouraging progress through the dialogue and questioning, using interactive activities where playfulness was okay.
    Have a good think about it and make sure you are playing to your own strengths. I definitely wasn't. I was very defensive and became more and more demoralised, thinking "I AM a good teacher, what's going on?" but you can be a good teacher without being good at interviews.

5. Agree with Theo! At my last count I've applied for at least 40 jobs this year and have had NO interviews for ANY teaching posts! That's gutting! I follow his advice to the letter, visit schools, do everything I can and still no joy. So to get 6 interviews is fantastic, well done.

6. Thank you for your replies and after reading them I spose I should be happy I have had the 6 interview opportunities (even though it doesnt feel like it!).

I deffo think my weakness is my lesson as all of them have said the actual interview part was strong, so maybe petrapan is right and I am just not planning things that show off my strengths.

Alas, I will continue to apply and plod along!!

Thank you for your help! x

7. I know how you feel as I have had 12- We just need to keep going. Do you refer to success criteria with the children in interview lessons and get them to reflect on their learning/think about next steps? This is one of the things I have been told makes my lesson strong. Definitely use a lesson you have taught successfully before and adapt it to suit the interview, it should make you feel more confident and you can focus on your delivery rather than trying to remember what you are doing next!
    My feedback is that I don't show enough enthusiasm/am too reserved/not passionate enough in the formal interview. I am concentrating so hard on trying to sell myself and persuade them to give me the job that I think I come across as a bit serious. Good luck with your applications and let us know how you get on.

8. Ah thank you - sorry to hear you are having the same trouble as me!! We will get there eventually I spose!
    Thanks for the advice though ill deffo take it on board.

Went to see another school today which I will be applying to, fingers crossed!! xx