1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

6 classroom fights in 6 weeks! Is this normal?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by pippalast, Nov 1, 2011.

1. 6 classroom fights in 6 weeks! Is this normal?..................Year 8 and year 9!

2. Actually physical fights? I would say no! However does this happen a lot throughout the school?

3. <font face="Calibri">Yes, very violent aggressive fighting, where i am just left shouting for the pupils to stop, then running out to get someone!</font>

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

No, but ... It happens. If they are year 7 or 8, I would say it's very unusual unless there's history. Year 9 onwards, if you are new to the school and they are a difficult year group, it could be for different reasons. There could be history, there could be gang influences or they could just be doing it to disrupt your lesson. You need to find out what's behind it and if it's happening in other lessons. Well, your HOD should be doing that. Whether it's your classroom management, children who shouldn't be in a classroom together or whole school, someone should have stepped in to stop it happening again,

5. It has been happening with year 8 and 9 classes and once while i was on duty in the canteen! It is a whole school situation and happens in other lessons with experienced teachers. Is there anything i can do to stop the fighting?

6. Has anyone else had fights in their classrom?

It was a big shock when i first saw one as i had never seen a fight before! (It seems to mostly happen at the end of the lesson as they are packing away.)

7. I was just browsing the forums, and although I am not an NQT but in my 6th year of teaching I had to comment on this. In my school and class 6 fights in 6 weeks would be an achievement. In my year 4 class if I go a day without a actual proper fight then I count myself lucky. I have a really difficult class with some violent children, 2 of whom are on ASBO's at age 8!!!!!