1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

5A*-C inc Maths, English and Science

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by lancsHOD, Jan 28, 2011.

1. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I heard that summer 2011 results will be judged on 5A*-C inc. English, Maths and Science. Is this correct and where do you find the information?

If it includes science, will it be 2passes like the English Bacc criteria is?

2. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I heard that summer 2011 results will be judged on 5A*-C inc. English, Maths and Science. Is this correct and where do you find the information?

If it includes science, will it be 2passes like the English Bacc criteria is?

3. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

I'd heard that message fed back from a LEAD meeting, and that it was GCSE Science only (specifically <u>not</u> BTEC Science)

4. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I want to know if it's definitely coming in this year, and if it is if it will be like the English Bacc which is they have to have 2 science GCSE passes, grade C and above.

5. Yes and yes as I understand it.

6. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

I thought the English, maths and science combination was going to be a measure called "the basics" rather than included in the 5+A*-C measure.

7. DM

DM New commenter

This is the relevant quote from the Addendum:
    <font size="3" face="Arial,Arial">"The 2010 Tables will also, for the first time, show the proportion of pupils at school, local authority and national level achieving good GCSE grades (A*-C) in both English and maths. Our intention is to include science in this 'Basics indicator&rsquo; from next year."</font>

8. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

So does 'our intention' means it's definitely going to happen, they certainly didn't mess around with introducing English Bacc, did they!?
    Does it mean 2 GCSE Science grades A*-C?

9. I would have thought so. And core + biology wouldn't count. I guess it is the same as the EBacc rules. Is he trying to catch out schools who use btec science to improve results?

10. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

So would count as having Science if they have :both Core and Additional Science
    or at least 2 of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

11. hennapen

hennapen New commenter

Please can someone explain which is to be the key measure here;

Ebacc (5 GCSEs inc En, Ma, Sc, Hu, La)

or

5 A*-C (inc En, Ma, 2 Sc?)

thanks

12. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Whichever is most appropriate to beat you about the head with during an inspection

13. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Have a look at the attainment and achievement tables from DCSF (or what ever they are called this week) the Eng Bacc is already in there!

14. Hopefully there will be so many league tables that it will confuse everyone. No one looks at the two science GCSE results at the moment,...

15. hennapen

hennapen New commenter

Perhaps it is more like 'which ever measure SMT think will give the better picture of their school'. Surely the whole idea of league tables is to be able to compare like with like??[​IMG]

16. A Science consultant told me today that BTECs will count. Anybody know anything about that?

17. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

Oh no! We scrapped BTECS for no reason then! :-(