1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  1. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

Doesn't the rest come with experience?

My mum used to threaten me with, "stacking shelves in Tesco," whenever I wanted to leave school instead of doing A Levels. Mums are like that and some of them are indignant because they want to live their own dreams through you and see you achieve what they did not.

If you do turn your back on teaching however, it doesn't matter. Plenty of people do nothing related to their degrees. Ask how many accountants have history, geography and english degrees! (Don't go into accountancy though - none of them are happy [​IMG]

2. No matter what happens remember that this is your life and nobody has the right to tell you what to do with it.

That aside, you are six weeks away from qualifying as a teacher. You are being told at the moment that pupils are not learning enough (if they were not learning anything you would not be passing). Is it only this placement where you have been told this? This might be a lack of harmony in this school which might not relate to all schools.

If you do make the decision to seek TA work then nobody has the right to make you feel bad because of this.

3. I agree with all the other comments, but don't let the comments put you off. Brush them off, and really focus on what it is you need to do to improve this. I have certainly had similar feelings to you recently, but I find it's mostly due to lack of confidence. I've actually found that having taken more responsibility of the class, I have a lot more confidence and this week has been so much better.
    I would finish the course, and just work hard on providing the appropriate challenge, etc. If you decide not to be a teacher at the end, that's fine, but definitely get the qualification!

4. I don't have much to add to what the others have said, but thought I would sympathise with you on the 'mum' front - mine is exactly the same! I have had many wobbles in front of her in which she has been less than sympathetic, and sometimes I really feel as though she is pushing me into teaching when I'm not sure it's what I want to do. I know she wants me to succeed, but it puts even more pressure on me when there is enough already.
    Not much advice, just sympathy!

5. I know what you mean about the whole 'mum' thing too! My mum is exactly the same. At the end of the day though it's your decision, only you know what's right and what's best for you.
    I am now coming to the end of my BA English Lit degree (got a PGCE place for September) and all the way through my mum has been against every academic move I make. She was proud when I picked up all passes in my GCSE's but after that she wanted me to go into work. She was against my choice of sixth form and university. I also dropped out of my first university aswell (went to study Journalism) because I got homesick. She was absolutely furious because I'd made the move up there. I then applied for the course I am doing now and she was totally against it. Obviously it was understandable because I dropped out last tim, but I knew deep inside that this was what I wanted and it was the right choice. I have now completed my degree and I have proved myself right. Now she couldn't be prouder. It's funny as soon as you get the qualification they change their minds. When I applied for Teacher Training she wasn't really that bothered, and I only think that's because it sounds like a job, rather than a course or a degree.
    My mum also left school without any qualifications and I think that's the reason why - they don't understand. They don't understand the process because they haven't been there themselves. Just remember you DO know the process and you know where it leads.
    Not really advice, just sympathy I guess!
    About the whole teaching thing - if you're passing you must be doing something right! All you need to do is to see if your heart's in it. If it's not, then maybe a career change is what you need!

Best of luck to you.

6. I left my second pgce placement with no confidence, I had been doing fine, getting goods and outstandings and for some reason had a letter to say I was being failed. I did an extra placement which was fantastic, boosted my confidence and when I passed i went on to do supply. After some fantastic experiences i am now working in a school, still on supply but will be there until summer and then shall be starting with my own class.

It is always worth persevering, and in the end those who persevere through the tough gain more understanding and become more self reflective. You can get through.

Have a countdown calendar, cross each day off as it happens. Getting onto one hand is fantastic and helped me see the light through my extra placement.