1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

55-60 pension confusion

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by PeterQuint, Oct 24, 2017.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

If I retire between 55 and 60 (NPA is 60) I can do so - at least claim my pension and continue working - if my school agrees and gives me a 'one day retirement'.

I would like to ask about if they don't? If I ask and they refuse, what are my options?

If I stay at the same place, can TP refuse to accept my application for my pension? Or agree to it, but refuse to pay it until I get a one day retirement?

What if I move to another job? What if I claim my pension now, my school refuse a one day retirement, then in 6 months I get a job elsewhere? Let's say I get a job for the summer term and leave my current job at the end of the spring term? Technically I'll be paid by this school until the end of this term, then be employed by the new school from the first day of next, so I don't have any one day where I've not been employed.

Any ideas?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As I understand it your only option is to resign take your pension on ARB, and look for another job (if you want to work) elsewhere.

wanet and PeterQuint like this.
  3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Cheers.

Can I stop paying in to the scheme, keep working at the same place, then apply for the pension as soon as I move jobs at some unspecified point in the future?

Can I apply for another job, then apply for my pension as soon as I'm offered one?

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If you are moving to a new job you could always ask them to delay your start date by a few days eg September 4th instead of September 1st. I can’t imagine why they would refuse this as it is saving them money.

PeterQuint likes this.