1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

54% of members return the ballot....82% of them vote yes....

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by seren_dipity, Nov 4, 2011.

1. It's good to know that there is an issue which will get more than half of EIS members to vote in a ballot. Fewer than 1/3 participated in the Unison ballot so 54% is an excellent response. Great support for strike action too.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's good to know that there is an issue which will get more than half of EIS members to vote in a ballot. Fewer than 1/3 participated in the Unison ballot so 54% is an excellent response. Great support for strike action too.

3. It would have been nice if everyone had been *allowed* to vote, instead of requesting a ballot paper three times and it still not arrive in the post.
    So glad the ballot swung the right way, if it had been close I would have been FUMING that I didn't get my ballot paper in time (well, at all for that matter).

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

<h5> I;m relieved but amazed that the EIS leadership considers the turn out high enough. What was the turn out in the first ballot over the sell out agreement? 52%? Just wondering when the EIS President will have a meeting with George Osborne and accept the UK govt's proposals!</h5>

5. Just what I was thinking...

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well, this was a substantive ballot rather than an indicative ballot like the last one so maybe there is a difference between voting yes for action and voting 'yeah, okay, give us a ballot' - dunno.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That's not to say that I don't agree that we were royally sold out at the last ballot.

8. So it's not just that the EIS leadership care more about pensions than they did about chartered teachers, supply teachers and the creeping deprofessionalisation of teaching?

9. Sorry, Seren, that really isn't aimed at you. The bitterness just spilled over a little!

10. I'm in the SSTA and am all for striking. Just don't think I can afford to as a supply teacher...

11. Like. To coin a Facebookism.

12. lookinglost

lookinglost New commenter

54% seems like a really poor turnout to me. Why aren't teachers voting? Why are so many so apathetic?

13. However, if your union vote to strike you would have to abide with that decision and strike sebog - that's the way a union works.

14. I thought I would feel better than I do about the fact we are going to strike. The truth is, now I'm home and it has sunk in, I'm genuinely quite upset and saddened by it. This is the hardest I have ever had to work in teaching, I am shattered, the major cuts in staffing/funding are really biting, it is rapidly becoming a job where I wonder how long not just me but many other teachers can keep going. What is being asked of us seems to be rapidly increasing to the point where it is unachievable, meantime everything else costs more - I'm feeling 'bled dry' just now. Parents won't understand why we are striking, with our 'gold-plated pensions' (average approx. &pound;7,500/year I think I read), 35 hour weeks and long holidays. The press will use it as an excuse to do even more teacher-bashing, and meantime teachers will continue trying to do their best for the pupils against a background of diminishing respect for our profession - I'm struggling to imagine this whole situation leading to a quality education system.

15. I believe that ONLY members who are balloted are eligible to participate in the industrial action. I don't think the SSTA intend to ballot supply teachers, unless they are on contracts.

16. uberman

uberman New commenter

I'm pretty sure it was 56% turnout, with a whopping 98% agreeing with each other!

17. Couldn't agree more. But what's the alternative? Roll over and take it? [​IMG]

18. No, definitely not roll over and take it, am just expressing 'overwhelming sadness' about it all, especially since I feel that it is going to continue to be an ongoing/regular battle to defend education/teachers against attacks from all sides.

19. No one wants to strike, but sometimes there really is nothing else to do. Some of my colleagues have been talking about not being able to afford to strike, well who can??
    Needs must in these teacher bashing times - or losing our pensions will cost us a whole lot more.

20. sbf

sbf New commenter

Cant afford to strike!!!!!!!
    Well lets see if they can afford an extra &pound;100 a month + a pontential 3rd year pay freeze + having to work for another 8 years + a loos of about &pound;45,000 in their pension due to inflation changes.
    They can weigh that against &pound;80 odd quid lost in a days strike.