1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

***?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Nov 27, 2011.

1. How can I be allergic to E45 cream? In the words of a women who ran for the leadership of Australia, ' please explain'

2. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Wow - did you really run for the leadership of Australia?!
    Seriously - does E45 cream have lanolin in it? That often causes allergic reactions. Could also be a reaction between the cream and a perfume or anti-perspirant you are wearing. How does the allergy manifest itself?

3. I put it on the what I think is eczema around my eyes. 3 days of hydrocortisone hasn't helped but they are so sore and itchy, I'll stick boiled beetrot on them if it makes them feel better.... I figured E45 wouldn't do any harm. But I apper to be wrong!

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

E45 cream does indeed contain lanolin. Paraffin too - both very common allergens.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Have you tried pure shea butter? It was the only thing to make any difference to my son's eczema when he was little. It's expensive but worth it.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Or oatmeal lotion?

8. Yes. Parabens are awful - most people don't realise. And they're in so many things, baby stuff included.

OP, have you tried alternative remedies? (Not that I'm heavily into them myself, but I think you have to at least try stuff to see if it helps - Aloe Vera gel for example is very cooling and soothing) Or even avoiding certain things in your diet? Dairy is a classic trigger/cause for excema.

I had excema as a child, and it can be horrible. My mother put me on goats' milk instead of cows' and she said that really helped.

9. Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to write this as it was the main thing I was going to say, but Barrat and Holland do an excellent cream for skin problems which I swear by, it's Steroid Free Emollient Cream. Very good for my occasional flare ups on my fingers.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1277&prodid=241&sid=0

(sorry about **** link - I'm on Chrome and can't figure out to do my usual working ones)

Oh, and apologies for paragraph-free post, aaargh.

10. Thanks for the ideas. Everyone tells me to cut out dairy but I truly don't know where to begin. I love it and it's an integral part of me! This eye eczema began out of the blue last Feb and just comes and goes as it pleases with no obvious triggers. But I think I'm going to start by cutting out alcohol. Cause I know that the wine isn't good for me!

11. Seriously, you need to *try*. It's that or the misery of excema. Dairy's not particularly good for anyone, really - but yes, quite hard to avoid in a western diet.

12. cut down or cut out?
    I reckon I have 1 and half cups of milk a day. Cheese on 5 days a week. Yogurt on 4 or 5 days and then what ever else is hidden in food.

I think I might try with lowering my sugar (which will cut out a bit of yogurt) by taking out wine and chocolate. These to being my main vices.

What I don't get with dairy is gut problems. Excess wheat gives me that and I have learnt where my tipping points are with those foods.

13. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

You can now get Lactofree milk, which we use for my daughter. She used to have goats milk, but didn't like it that much, but no problems with the Lactofree. A couple of weeks ago, we run out and we put normal milk in her tea - and the eczema reappeared. She eats normal cheese and yogurts (well - the yoplait(?) tubes) without a problem.
    In milk, it is usually the lactose which causes people to have a reaction; goats milk has a slightly different form which means it is suitable for most people, but Lactofree has the lactose removed.
    Hope this helps.
    Goat

14. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I symathise, tassiegirl, Ive had raging eczema all my life, and Ive tried everything from acuuncture to 3 immunesuressants to vegan diet...well the list goes on. Its really hard to go dairyfree as its in many prepared foods, even some bread.
    I found out I was seriously allergic to E45 when I was first told to use it...I cant touch anything with lanolin in.
    Have you considered charting your flare ups against your monthly cycle, this is what I did and found it was always at the same point in my cycle, and led my dermatologist to consider some sort of progesterone dermatitis (cant remember full name). Just my luck to be allergic to my own hormones! I control it abit better now but still have falre ups I could set my watch by. Just a thought!
    Its horrid really isnt it, as people often say oh its just a 'bit of a rash'. Well Ive been hospitalised several times in my life, its that bad, and there's a whole raft of things I cant do (like swim), get decent clothes, wear make up, dye my hair.....etc

15. One more thought I've not seen mentioned: does any flare up connect with any times of stress? Possible not as silly as it sounds. (I used to think that the stomach issues I have from time to time were connected to dairy or meat but I've increasing come to realise that, while these foods often trigger the problem, the problem is actually about feeling stressed. I avoid the trigger foods when I'm stressed or it's getting near the end of term and I'm run down.)

16. That's initially what I put it down to, stress. But I don't feel overly stressed at the moment. A bit uncertain about what my next move will be, but in terms of day to day stress, its not bad at the moment.

I will try lacto free milk.

And still cut out the wine and limit the chocolate :)

17. You can also get soya milk and buffalo milk.

18. So, good news is that it isn't eczema. The bad news is that it's an uber sensitivity to something. Need to see a dermatologist to help try and find out what. But it is likely to be related to wine.... Sob sob. The plus being it will save my liver, skin, weight and bank account! But I'm looking forward to lots of parties and now they may have to be dry..... Ho hum!

19. Oh yes - if you stop drinking wine you'll notice a weight difference. I lost quite a lot when I stopped drinking for a while.

20. My brother (who had the worst case of childhood eczema his consultant had ever seen) developed allergies to first aqueous cream, and then E45 as a kid. The only emollient cream that worked on him consistently (he still uses it now as a twenty-something lump) was diprobase.
    He became so sensitive to it he'd scream in pain if you tried to put it on him.