1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50s outfit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ROSIEGIRL, May 5, 2012.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Daughter is going to best friend's hen do and they're having a 50s theme - to fit in with the Jubilee celebrations.
    Any ideas of where she can get a nice outfit? There's Ebay and charity shops - any other suggestions? Not too expensive please - she's just got her first (pretty lowly paid) job and most of the others going are still students or unemployed.

(I'm a bad mother - I can't sew!)

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Daughter is going to best friend's hen do and they're having a 50s theme - to fit in with the Jubilee celebrations.
    Any ideas of where she can get a nice outfit? There's Ebay and charity shops - any other suggestions? Not too expensive please - she's just got her first (pretty lowly paid) job and most of the others going are still students or unemployed.

(I'm a bad mother - I can't sew!)

3. Local theatres sometimes hire stuff out. Is there a small local theatre you could try?

4. Failing that how about wearing some cropped jeans, with a little tshirt, chiffon scarf tied at the neck, little white socks and pumps/ stilletoes. I'll try and find a photo. She could possibly already have all this? Or hit primark.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

50s style dresses are really in at the moment. New look had a few in the other day for around £20 and at least she would get to wear them again.

6. [​IMG]
    something like this?

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

There are online fancy dress costuniers that may fit the bill. We went to a vicars and tarts party on New Year's Eve and got a tarty nun and a vicar outfit for about £25 all in. CXheap and nasty material, but fitted the bill. I googled fancy dress shops and several came up.

8. I can't find a picture like the one in my head but I guess its kind of rockabilly style?
    Maybe get a pair of 1950s glasses - the pointed ones to add to it.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

pastychucker, how was your literacy lesson?

10. Oh - thank you for asking - it was great! - sadly noone came to watch it :(

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Are you thinking British 50s or Holywood 50s? Could she go dressed as a teddy boy?

12. Curlers and headscarf + one of those wrapover aprons?

13. [​IMG]I know this is a child but you get the idea.

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

15. giraffe

giraffe New commenter