1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

500 euro notes

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Principal-Skinner, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Use of 500Euro notes in common in people smuggling and sex trade enterprises.
    If the school is in Western Europe you should be fine, if central Europe then you're probably fine, if Eastern Europe, take a maid's costume, lubricant and plenty of condoms...

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

These two things don't usually go together.
    So would I.
    Not at all.
    No.
    Is the school in Spain?

3. Skinner, I laughed so hard I nearly fell of my chair [​IMG]

4. Hi lw,

Don't do it.
    There's a place in Cologne that has been involved in this and worse.
    It means that you have no state provision for health care, pension etc.
    What happened at this place is that they inevitably trousered your rights as profit and paid your health bills out of their own pocket. That's one reason why they didn't take on teachers with kids. They also pestered people who got ill. You can guess why!
    In the end they have got rich on your back - your work and your risk.

And oh dear, did we get beat by Gladbach :-(((

Cheers,

FC

5. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Are you kidding? Lube and condoms required for that job certainly!

No way should anyone take a teaching job "cash in hand" and 30k euro is a bit low surely anyway - maybe why it's paid cash in hand? You will have the tax man (local and British) after you as well as a nice jail sentence later that won't look good on your crb. Tax evasion and fraud. Lovely!

6. I have to admit, I am starting to think that it wouldn't be a good idea to actually take this job.
    I have been told that the school runs two contracts: the expat contract and the official contract which you sign when you get there, which apparently states that you earn peanuts. The school pays the tax on the peanuts.
    One of the current teachers there says that at a certain point each month, everyone gets called to the Principal's office, and he hands over the cash to them in an unmarked envelope. EEK!

7. In certain European countrie- Greece or some part of ex Yugo- you pay tax 'when you have to.'
    Get
    another job ASAP.

8. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

We have a parent who pays for two children for the whole year in September, lobbing a brick of €500 notes over the counter.
    I don't believe she is a people-trafficker and she isn't on the list of mums I'd enjoy seeing in a maid's uniform, but that was certainly food for thought.
    Seriously, how do schools get away with it? In the EU, maybe even in Germany of all places, in 2011? This isn't merely a frustrated yelp, for I am genuinely curious.
    Ruritania like any country endures a certain level of corruption and tax evasion, but we could never possibly avoid a caning from the fiscal authorities if we paid our staff like that.
    I would very much rather put more money in teachers' hands. Then they could make their own provision for the future - property, gold, private savings plans - or seize the day and blow it all, and to hell with the future.
    However, unlike the OP's prospective employer, I feel my hands are tied and with income tax and discounts for a pension fund that may or may not bear fruit, the state is swiping €40 every time we pay a teacher €100.
    There are one or two economic illiterates on our staff who seem seriously to believe that the monthly pension discount goes into a little pot at the Treasury with a label saying, 'Money for Mrs Bloggs. To be collected September 2027'. But of course sweet Bloggsy's hard-earned cash is paying for the present generation of silver-haired old farts and trouts to sit in the parks and cafés of this lovely city lamenting the decline of the West - when she and I shuffle off to the ministry to claim our share, we just may have to wave our walking-sticks indignantly at a sign reading 'closed for the duration'.
    I do not trust the government of any country anywhere to fulfil its pension obligations to the next couple of generations. They are all effectively bankrupt, not just the Paddys, Greeks and Portogeezers. Not even the sacrosanct UKTP is exempt from the laws of mathematics.
    40% pay rise, anyone?

9. The school is in Eastern Europe.
    I can't help wondering where they would get all those 500 euro notes each month....5 or 6 per teacher.
    I've also been told that it can be quite difficult to spend them, or to put them in a bank.
    I think I may be looking for my new job for a little while longer.
    Thanks for all your help, everyone, I knew that my instincts were right on this one.

10. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Okay, I may well be wrong, but I thought that ?500 notes were being taken out of circulation due the people trafficking type. As I said, I may be wrong.

11. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

I doubt it would stop this school as I'm sure they have a colour photocopier to keep producing the 500 EUR notes ;-)

12. Well, I´ve never heard of anything like this before.
    As people know, I worked in Nigeria, and even there, I received a proper payslip, and had 25% of my salary paid into a local account and the rest was paid into my UK account. Seriously, this is something that even Nigerian schools would not do, which I think says it all.
    So, there are teachers out there, trousering their pay in used 500 notes (or hot off the press?), and they don´t head for the hills? To quote Victor Meldrew: I don´t believe it!

13. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

BFG, surely someone would give you a fiver for it! ;o)

14. Dax

Dax

I've heard the reason 500 Euro notes are difficult to change is that there are so many forgeries in circulation. The place sounds like a nightmare - if it's in Germany, it'll only be a matter of time before they're found out, and you have to ask yourself - would you be dragged into the ensuing mess? I reckon you might, if the police thought you knew illegality was rife. Avoid it like a kangaroo's ****, mate, is my advice.

15. Well, here I am fellow forum posters, in the world of the getting paid in 500 euro notes in cash. I couldn´t find an alternative job, and principles are all well and good for those who can afford them.
    Having said that..as soon as I can, I be off.
    The people who amaze me are the posh plum in their mouths, all tory Brits. What a bunch of hypocites I´m working with...

16. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Me!
    Although... you said earlier that your school is in Eastern Europe, and I'm at the other end.
    And haven't seen a €500 note in ages, The Ruritanian government has confiscated them all, and will pay back to the bearer €0.50 in October 2021.
    It was* ever thus, tiny marsupial. Even I thought there was justice in the world until this morning's Rugby game.
    * note, O Pharaoh, that I avoided the dread 'twas.

17. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

No day can be considered truly wasted in which either the French or the Welsh suffer defeat. Alas, if only they both could have lost, the day would have been magnifique!

18. Harsh, Karvol.
    'twas a travesty of justice, it was.
    There has been no finer player and ambassador for rugby than the Warburton boy. He made a very, very forgiveable mistake and I can't believe he walked, Wales are out and the ugliest French side ever, are in the final; it could have been the ugliest English side, though....
    I am English with many Welsh friends, though I do find it confusing that none of them have any English ones - but Wales were done by hard today. A little bit of rugby died today...
    Presently, I am drowning their sorrows...

19. serverservant

serverservant New commenter

Always expect the unexpected, the harldy legal and the downright unethical when teaching overseas.
    It is very common in Spain for schools to pay you a proportion of your salary (about 33%) in cash, known as black money. This money has no legal basis whatsoever and so you can only claim benfits/payments/credits for loans cars etc on the 66% that is paid into a bank.
    Some school also give you 10 month contracts and effectively fire you over the summer and rehire you, so legally if they then turn around in mid august and say dont come back, its not against the law to do it.
    Others pay you in cash for the summer and part of your salary and then teachers use the spanish unemployment service as some kind of annual bonus fund. When I got 500 euro notes I found many places, inlcuding my bank and letting agent didnt want them. I asked for non 500 notes and rather pedantically got 600 euro the next time in 20's!
    I think almost all schools in spain do this, the issue is how close to unlawful their unethical behaviour goes. In some cases, they sail awfully close to the wind.
    In Germany however, you should expect a permanent deal after 6 months, good salary and paid into a bank and access to a union. If youre not getting that, then something is really really wrong.

20. serverservant

serverservant New commenter

Nope, its a generalisation based living in 7 countries, whats happened to me, to others I know, and yes so far the only place thats 100% above board is germany. Im simply saying EXPECT the unexpected etc not that every country will give you it, learn to read. Forearmed is forewarned.

Yes of course you can use the cash, but as you well know, it isnt RECOGNISED as part of your salary. SO if say you want to buy a house, you have 66% of the money to use to do it, thats if you get a contract that lasts over 10 months.

Yes you only pay tax on the 66% as well, but that diesnt hide the fact 33% of your salary effectively ceases to exist.

6 months and earn rights. Yes, thats called EU law. All permanent employees have a 6 month probation period, then a permanent deal. Funnily enough, teachers in that system are happier because they have security. And no its not a "job for life", but its a job as long as youre doing your job properly, That was SMT dudes (like yourself) cant punt you at a moments notice because you didnt like something someone said.

SO to summarise, in Spain you have no job security, 33% of your salary doesnt really exist (so forget long term planning), schools can just phone you mid august and say dont come back and people like SMT Dude seem to think this is ok.

If you like living your life on the edge at the whim of someone who can end your job at any time (because you have no rights) good luck and good on you, I personally think thats a pretty horrendus way to spend your time. Needless to say, I am now in said country where I know I can buy a house, settle down, sort a pension etc without worrying about if and when the school will cut me off.