1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

500 calories

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by rustybug, Aug 21, 2012.

1. After looking at the JUDDD diet I said I didn't think it was for me as I think I would struggle to get by on 500 calories in a day.
    My daughter has now challenged me to try it with her - TODAY!!! Eeek!
    Started quite well with a Slimfast bar and 3 cups of spiced tea with a drop of milk each - not a hardship as that's how I like my tea best and the Slimfast bars are quite nice and very filling. Mid -late morning we had iced coffees, with about 40 calories worth of milk, so we've had about 260 already!
    Now it's nearly 2 and I'm wondering what we can possibly have for lunch that a) we have got in the house and b) will leave us SOMETHING at least for dinner tonight.
    I walked the dog, and my GPS said I used up about 320 calories doing it, but Calorie Nazi here says I can only have a nectarine extra in recognition of that.
    Those regulars on here who do it often - I salute you.

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

500 calories in a day?! Are you joking??? Is that even healthy?!

3. Founded on very good science, I believe - you alternate up days and down days. On an up day you eat what you like (within reason...) and on a down day you have the 500 calories. Supposedly very good for you and makes you live longer and not get cancer, as well as lose weight.

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

It is really good and weight falls off. I have porridge made with water x

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I hope you don't take just 500 calories on a regular basis as doing such diets have been linked to issues such as memory loss and even death. Even those who support it say you should only do it under the supervision of a doctor. I should imagine once you stop your weight will just go straight back on again.

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

It sounds terrifying to be honest that someone could regularly eat just 500 calories, even if you are eating more the next day... 500 calories spells anorexic to me.... and I can't see how that could be healthy... Sorry but that's just my personal opinion. I couldn't do it.

7. anon8315

I'm definitely not anorexic!
    Rusty, personally when I do 500 calories a day I do it during term time and I just eat an evening meal, nothing else - I find that a lot easier than trying to do it your way but some snacks which are around the 100 calorie mark are:
    a banana
    a yoghurt
    porridge (it's just over but then a small banana is just under so it tends to balance out)
    ready prepared soup
    breadsticks & philadelphia - you can buy them ready made
    I honestly don't understand why some of you have posted here, I couldn't do Slimming World but I don't jump on every thread about Slimming World and say I couldn't do it!

8. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I like the idea but I am not sure my blood sugar issues would allow me to do it. Might work if my tiny meals were things like porridge, eggs and wholemeal bread.

9. Torey

It isn't because I couldn't do it. It is because I understand the health risks and wouldn't want to do it. Hopefully it will encourage people to look it up and see how dangerous it is.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Can I ask why?
    Slimming world is essentially about a healthy diet with a little food combination work too.
    If you can't keep a healthy diet, what's the point in losing weight? It'll just go back on.

11. I agree about needing to stick to a healthy diet. If you look at any healthy eating plans by health care professionals, they all advise this. I have just been looking at the British Heart Foundation leaflet, and they have the 'food balance plate' - the one we teach in primary school - and it has carbohydrates and fruit and veg making up the main part of the diet. Lots of people on here say they cut out carbs to lose weight, but how can that be healthy long term? You can't sustain it. No matter how many ways you try to get round it, eating less and exercising more has to be the way to go.

12. anon8315

I gained 2lbs in the week I tried Slimming World. [​IMG] I think because some of its food is unlimited it can be bad if you're a big eater which I am.
    I'm not overweight and never have been significantly so, but some days I'm hungrier than others (mainly because some days I am busy and don't have time to think about eating and other days I don't) so this diet works well for me, just as SW does for others [​IMG]

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Ah, so you could do slimming world, you just choose not to. A week isn't a long trial, to be fair...
    I didn't do well with slimming world either because I could abuse the system.
    I thought you meant that you didn't understand it or couldn't eat that food.

Referring to an earlier post, I cut the carbs to lose weight... but I still get my balance over a whole day. I eat carbs for breakfast and lunch, but not at tea time. This means I eat more protein, which has to be good for me. For a long time I had very little in the way of protein!

14. anon8315

Well, I couldn't do Slimming World and lose weight - bit pointless to join and gain! [​IMG]
    I read another post that said you'd lost 7 stone lila, that's just amazing!

15. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I responded because I am always interested in new ways to lose weight... and this seemed like a very drastic option... which I was interested to know more about... You posted on a forum and therefore I am allowed to add my opinion and thoughts... and if you wanted to comment on slimming world, or weight watchers, I would gladly read your opinion, whether I agreed with it or not, I wouldn't get defensive about it. :)

16. anon8315

I'm not defensive lillipad but it does bemuse me somewhat imagining all the conversations people could have.
    "No actually I have never watched that programme."
    "No, that book sounds rubbish."
    "No I've never taught that subject"
    People are entitled to post those things but it would be a little, well, pointless! [​IMG]

17. san38

san38 New commenter

I've read lots about this diet following the Horizon programme and it is actually supposed to have a great many health benefits. The literature says that unless you have pre existing medical conditions there is no need to consult a doctor and the fact that you are altenating your diet means that your body does not go into 'starvation' mode. I was convinced but lack the motivation at the moment! I am considering the 2/5 version where you just eat the 500 calories on 2 days. In answer to the original question my sister who is doing it already finds those ready made porridge sachets filling and sustaining. good luck. Let us know how you get on.

18. anteater

anteater New commenter

Am pretty sure the Horizon programme about intermittent fasting suggested 600 calories rather than 500.

19. Torey

You don't need to eat 500 calories to have an opinion though on it. It isn't the same as reading a book! One article l read suggested that less than 800 calories can cause neurological issues.

20. The result for me was, I couldn't do it! I'm not massively overweight, but since giving up swimming (I used to do a LOT) when I went full time, the weight has crept on.
    I think the best diet for you depends on your personality - I liked the sound of JUDDD as it's apparently good for you long term - not even close to anorexia when you're urged to eat 2000 calories every second day!! And I liked the idea of thinking, "I can have one of those tomorrow".
    But I am an all-or-nothing person. I had already lost about 5lbs in a few weeks just by "being good", thinking carefully about what I ate (easier in the hols) and not stuffing my face. I told my daughter about JUDDD and said I was sure I couldn't get by on 500 calories, and she said, "Let's try it!" so we did.
    We had 3 healthy meals, salads, stir-fries, etc,with protein to keep us satisfied, but by 9pm we were really hungry and I knew I would sleep badly if I didn't eat something, so we broke down and had a lovely bit of breaded haddock (I had mine in a bap with a big squirt of ketchup!) - the most delicious thing I've ever eaten in my life!!
    Mind you, that was about 400 calories tops, so that's only 900 in the day, still a seriously low-cal day, and this morning my weight was under 11 stone for the first time in a few months!
    Today, back to just "being good", which is easier when you can feel your jeans almost slipping off you as you walk and you have to fold the waistband over to keep them up! I think my best diet is Slimfast-style, because I get into the groove of eating only a little from the start of the day, and then enjoy a good meal with the family in the evening.
    It comes down to your personality, I feel. I can't do the swing between up days and down days, I need to get my head into the game of behaving in a certain way, and stay like it until I've had a result.
    And Badger Girl, 500 cals on a WORK DAY!!! Like I said, I salute you!!