1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50 year old divorced woman working in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Becs0811, Jul 19, 2015.

1. HI

Advice please... I'm considering applying for jobs in Dubai, my main reason for doing so is to save a great chunk of money. Having read some of the posts on here, I think I may be misleading myself! Can anyone tell me what the average salary is for 9 year experience, also is it feasible for an older single woman to work there? Thanks

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

This is rather subjective as there are some good some bad schools who pay poorly. You will have to take the chance and see what package they offer. Signing up to SEARCH will give you this access for free if you are British. I know plenty older ladies who worked in Dubai but that was like 3 years back, and they have left for pastures new since.

3. There will be many Arab men willing to discuss their package with you, if I remember my time in Kuwait correctly. If you want an adventure and want to save some money, do it. Just make sure you get a job that includes accommodation.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It used to be the case that Dubai jobs were very well paid, but it is such a popular place with youngsters that the salaries are not so good these days. If you are considering Dubai, then my advice would be to spread your net a bit wider and consider Abu Dhabi and Qatar as well. Yes, I would agree with PuRe that there are some HORRIBLE schools in the ME.

5. hi becs0811,

I'm in the same boat, can I add you as a friend so we can exchange ideas?

6. Of course you can.

7. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Just a note, there are plenty of other places apart from Dubai to save a chunk of money (writing as a 40-something divorced man on the international circuit who needs to replenish the coffers!).

8. I wouldn't push the cash lust at interview. Maybe outline that you can actually teach.

9. pgrass

pgrass New commenter

I have worked in Dubai and I have worked in two places in East Asia, including Japan. I was able to save more in East Asia than in Dubai, with one of the main reasons being I didn't feel the urge to leave the country every holiday, like almost everyone in Dubai feels. Another reason is the cost of living; Dubai is expensive unless you eat where all of the Indians and Philipinas eat.

You won't save as much as you think in Dubai. Rents are going up, many schools have a maximum step at which you can enter, and many salary scales are not that great to begin with.

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some wise words and I am not sure that I have any other pearls to add. Yes, I would agree with pgrass that you are not going to save very much if you keep jumping on a plane every holiday. Why Dubai? This overweight pachyderm has spent many a year in the ME and I must say that China is a lot pleasanter, easier and more do-able. Okay, so the Middle Kingdom is a few more hours on a plane.

11. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

The difference between my monthly salary in China and Qatar is very minimal; I still get housing, either provided or an allowance, I get flights; health insurance - so far no difference! However what I have in China is masses amounts of freedom and a better standard of social life plus I don't have to live just where teachers live as was the case in Qatar.