1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50 shades of grey.....

Discussion in 'Book club' started by hazeymazey, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Yes it is poorly written and repetitive, but our staff room has had such a laugh over it. I must admit i would swap places with Miss Steele!!!!!

2. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

They've provided many a giggle in our staffroom too!

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Well, I found the first one a bit boring; I wasn't really titillated or aroused.
    I've just started the second one and there seems to be more of a plot.....

Don't give anything away!

4. Am I the only one to notice that this is the only **** aimed at women that has made the mainstream and that people are talking about? **** for men is available in pretty much any high-street newsagents, **** for women not so much. Thank you Ms James.
    I started to read book 1 on holiday (borrowed a friend's copy) then bought my own when I got home. Husband bought me books 2 and 3. Is it high literature - no of course not. Is it a bit repetitive (how often do they need to bonk in an elevator fgs), yes. Does it reach the parts that other books cannot reach? Well, it made my inner goddess giggle a bit, and there's nothing wrong with that.

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Just finished reading this book... I did not enjoy it, pushing aside the fact that it was very poorly written... the story itself was just absolute rubbish. I understand it was written as fan fiction for twilight and there were many comparisons between Grey and Edward Cullen and many things in the stories were similar when you thought about it... But it was just so repetitive and he basically assaults her, although she loves him - she's clearly not comfortable with this and lets him do it anyway...! And i'm sorry, but do real women really reach the big O every single time they have sex?! It's a pile of pooop! lol... The only reason it's a best seller is because its reputation is going ahead of it and everyone's buying it to see what the fuss is about (including me) By which point our opinion is irrelevant because she's already got our money! lol.

6. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Even worse, i discovered while doing a bit of Kindling yesterday, that there are a load of imitations of 50 shades appearing. They are blatant rip offs as in billionaire NDSM merchant meets naive student. I did get a sample to see how similar it was. is this legal?

7. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Ok, I am on book 3 and owned 2 vibrators and a very vivid imagination long before the former! The books are poorly written ****. As for your question about the big O, yes, some women do.xxx

8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Those women are very fortunate then! :)

9. I read all 3 and quite enjoyed the actual story (I know it's all rubbish but sometimes i enjoy a bit of rubbish), and in fact by about two thirds of the way through book 2 I was skimming the saucy bits (imagine me flicking through the pages muttering, "clitoris, yes, yes, apex of my thighs, yadda yadda, straining against the fabric, yeah yeah, sweet release...." to get to the actual story.
    I cringed at the Miss Steele and Mr Grey thing and the inner goddess drove me mad, as did the subconscious looking over her specs. And the overuse of the word murmur and the notion that she kept unwittingly biting her lip and driving him mad with lust by doing so. I would love to have given it a stringent edit before it went to the publisher to take out the most embarrassingly silly bits.
    For me, the most wincingly dreadful moment was in I think book 2, when she has agreed to go in the red room and has selected some "toys" to give him to signify the fact, including one she itemises as a butt plug. When they are "doing it" she sees him pick it up and says, "I couldn't imagine WHAT he was going to do with it, shock horror, he is going to put it THERE!!??" (blush, simper)

10. Streetcleaner

Streetcleaner New commenter

I wouldn't know... I don't read horror novels

11. I recommend the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer if you haven't already read them, The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, and His Every Desire series by Emma Rose. All of so good in their own way.

12. Hi all,
    Just wanted to add my 2p worth!
    I put off reading 50 Shades for ages after reading the fist page or so of this thread, but over the summer I thought why not? As a summer read you don't want anything taxing and, for me, it was easy to read and a bit of escapism. If I'd wanted Jane Austen, I'd have taken Pride and Prejudice with me; but I knew exactly what I'd bought and got exactly that.
    You can't buy this kind of book and complain it's not in the same class as Dickens, when it never pretends to be so. It's erotic fiction. It's not going to win awards, but that never stopped Jackie Collins or Jilly Cooper! Most authors write because they enjoy it. E. L. James was just very lucky to find a publishing house that agreed to publish it.

13. "Am I the only one to notice that this is the only **** aimed at women that has made the mainstream and that people are talking about? **** for men is available in pretty much any high-street newsagents, **** for women not so much. Thank you Ms James. "

Firstly, I wouldn't describe this as ****. It's mildly titilating (it's so badly written, I can't describe it as erotic). Secondly, this is by no means the only mainstream erotica aimed at women. There's plenty of well written stuff out there. Five minutes in your nearest book shop will provide you with much better erotic fiction than this. I think people are talking about it because its more laughable than erotic.

Also, describing something as badly written doesn't mean I expect everything to be like Dickens. If you compare these truly awful books to Jackie Collins, they are still badly written. Jackie Collins can develop a character and a story line far better.

Apparently paragraphs aren't translated from my iPad. Apologies if my point gets lost.

14. This is one of those books that will keep selling no matter how bad everyone says it is. Makes me wonder who makes the decisions at the publishing houses, as it's so hard for many writers to get published at all these days.

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Why should decent writing and erotic fiction be mutually exclusive? It would appear that, with very few exceptions, they are mutually exclusive, but it shouldn't have to be thiat way.