1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50 books a year

Discussion in 'English' started by gruoch, Mar 26, 2011.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

2. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I'm all for increasing the number of books children read but this is just an abitrary and meaningless number. What does he mean by "reading" anyway? Putting kids in competition with each other as to how many books they can read in a year is utterly pointless if they just skim read in order to reach the target. What is needed is a way to develop a love of reading which will generate the engagement that ultimately leads to a lifelong love of books (and exam success!)
    And I so agree with the posters' comments on OM&M. I have marked the Literature paper at Foundation level for years and seen some startling comments about this text from really low ability students. One student wrote " This is the best book I've ever read" and the sad truth is that it may well be not just the best but the only one. I actually think this novel should be compulsory!

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Careful, regents, if Gove minor discovers that you work for AQA you may find yourself at the top of his black list and in need of another job.