1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50 'best'/ must read children/teenage fiction books.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by arcturus, Dec 30, 2010.

1. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

My computer is playing up tonight...I usually don't post everything twice!!!

2. corrina86

corrina86 New commenter

When I was a child I loved Goosebumps by R.L. Stine and then moved on to Point Horror books in my teens. Boys in my Year 4 class discovered Goosebumps in the school library early on in last term and have been hooked ever since! So much so that they practically beg to go to the libary to get another one and they all received the collection of books for Christmas. I have never seen a group of children with such infectious enthusiasm for reading that has now spread like wildfire to all children within my class!
    I also loved Moomins by Tove Jansson and I have recently introduced Sean Tan books to my class and they have really enjoyed them!

3. corrina86

corrina86 New commenter

*library

4. no one has mentioned Dick King-Smith yet - some newish classics like The Hodgeheg and The Sheep-pig. Worth remembering - and especially as he died today. My class love his books.

5. The Happy Prince and The House Of Pomegranates by Oscar W

6. i would like to add some authors not mentioned yet.
    Paul Jennings is an australian Author and hugely popular with children who don't like to read a lot.
    The Gizmo series, Weird series etc. he had written dozens of books.
    Sherryl Jordan is a personal favourite. The Wednesday Wizard is for younger children, The Juniper Game for older.
    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/j/sherryl-jordan/
    Margaret Mahy has been mentioned and her books are fabulous.
    Maurice Gee Under the Mountain, and the Halfmen of O trilogy.
    Tessa Duder especially the Alex Quartet
    http://www.tessaduder.com/books.html
    David Hill especially SeeYa Simon and The Name of the Game
    http://www.bookcouncil.org.nz/writers/hilldavid.html

7. Creatif - I love love love the David Eddings series! Both the Belgariad and Mallorean. They are absolutely beautiful and calm me down whenever I feel blue. I recently read them to alleviate stress about coming back to work after having a baby.
    'The first thing the boy Garion could remember...' Brilliant.
    Favourite character = Silk.
    Sorry. Ramble over.

8. The War With Grandpa by Robert Kimmel Smith
    Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
    Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

9. What a great thread -
    I would agree with so many of the suggestions but would like to add to Anne of Green Gables the "Emily" books, also by L M Montgomery. The first is Emily of New Moon. Although I am a lifelong fan of Anne, Emily has an extra "something" which I can't quite define. Not so well known as they were out of print for many years.

10. Has anyone else suggested The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford?

11. I don't know if they have been suggested yet, but as I just finished reading them (twice) and loved them I figured they may be enjoyed by teenagers too -

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.

12. Not that i read as a child but which I borrowed from my daughter recently. Ursula le Guin - the earthsea quartet and all the follow ups. Wonderful. Stig of the dump's great for younger ones.

13. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Just updated... :)

14. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

This is a really great thread.Thanks y98 :) I've enjoyed reading it.

15. Agree with all chocolatebox9 suggestions.
    William Nicholson's "Wind Singer" trilogy is wonderful. Also "Skellig" by David Almond; "HOLES" Louis Sacher; "The Owl who was afraid of the Dark" by Jill Tomlinson; "Clockwork" by Philip Pullman; "Wolf Brother" by Michelle Paver; "Warhorse" + "Butterfly Lion" by Michael Morpurgo;

16. Hi, I have only just seen this too.
    The Little Prince Antoine de St Exupéry. I feel someone of almost any age can take what they will from it and although it is studied at high school level in Canada, my daughter and her friends loved it at 5 or 6. For some reason it doesn't seem to be widely read here.
    Michael Morpurgo's King of the Cloud Forests is a nice one.
    Also, how about The Angel Experiment series by James Patterson? I don't think anyone mentioned it. Certainly got my teenage daughter reading again after she hit a few bumps. Heard it was going on the curriculum anyway, but who knows.
    Have to say I was surprised at some of the comments made earlier. Why would any of us think that it's only our own opinion that counts? As a teacher, I feel it's my responsibility to be open-minded and without ego. Everyone should have a chance for input. I can only shudder at the dynamics of a class where any teacher felt theirs was the only opinion that mattered and where constant nit-picking took place. Makes one realise why some kids don't want to go to school!
    So thanks, some new input for me and nice idea, y9840125.

17. After 30 years of teaching I have found nothing to beat Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo. It makes everybody cry, including the most hardened year 6 boys, and contains such beautiful language. I cry everytime I read it to kids - and I know the ending!!

18. My favourite book was 'The Faraway Tree' by Enide Blyton. I found a rather shoddy copy in the OXFAM shop I couldn't put it down. I bought it and gave it to my 27 year old daughter who loves it too! I shall treasure my childhood memory which this book draws out form me.[​IMG]

19. A_Cruz1

A_Cruz1 New commenter

Lord of the Flies, Animal Fam, the MIlly Molly Mandy books and the Little Miss Pepperpot books (young children). I remember loving (and still love) To Kill A Mockingbird. All a bit old now but hope they are helpful.
    Michael Rosen is a genius and children seem to love his poems and books. Martin Waddell has to be on there, as does Judith Kerr and Janet/Allan Ahlberg.